A possibly silly fin question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stick with the open heel fins and boots. I had a bad experience (in Cozumel coincidentally) when I was wearing full foot fins. The no-slip coating on the ladder on the dive boat had worn away and because I had bare feet climbing the ladder, my one leg slipped through and I landed hard on my leg. An inch further and I would have landed on "the boys." That was the last dive trip I used the full foot fins. Nobody with boots was having any slippage issues.

Dang, I was hoping for a split fins war...........!!!!!

Thread is totally disappointing!

:)

Another boots/fins fan here.

Booties are handy for when you are getting on or off the boat to the shore, to a dock etc.

Last edited:
either system will do. I like diving with booties & have used ScubaPRO Jetfins for 30+ years.

many of the DM's on the island use "full foot" fins.

it's really just a matter of preference when boat diving. Booties are more of a necessity when shore diving.

I'd stick with your booties/open heel fins if that's what you have and you're happy with them, that's what most people do. Full foot fins may have their points and their fans, but in most diving there are many practical advantages to booties.

In tropical climates I most often see full foot fins used only by local DMs who are only diving off boats, docks, or other relatively friendly surfaces, and whose feet are probably tough as nails anyway.

Personally, I use booties and open heel fins, and have done so for 25 years now. I can't say which type of fin is more efficient in the water, but my view is that such efficiency is less important on drift dives such as Cozumel. If you are doing it right, the current is doing the vast majority of the work when it come to locomotion - just a few kicks here and there to move across the current, or to hold position against the current when necessary. The benefits of the neoprene booties, in terms of protection, warmth of feet (not a big deal in Cozumel, critical for me on my odd lake dives in Texas), non-slip soles, outweigh for me any sacrifice I might be making in efficiency in the water.

I'm disappointed. I clicked on this thread hoping to discover what "silly fins" are! :D

One vote for the Flying Gurnard.
FLYING_GURNARD-JG.jpg

And to the OP, I also wear boots and open-heeled fins. Boots aren't as necessary in Cozumel, but are pretty important for shore diving. So if you're spending the money, you might as well buy what will work for other destinations as well. You won't get too warm.

p.s. - not my photo. found it on the internet.

Last edited:
Another vote for booties and open heeled fins. Have never worn anything else, ever. I have a very long, narrow foot and have a dickens of a time finding fins small enough that I don't rattle around in the foot though. Maybe I should give full foot fins a try but I like the extra protection when climbing the ladder and jumping into the rocky shore at Palancar Beach. While some of the DMs here may wear full foot fins, the DM I dive with wears also. The ONLY problem I have found is that the zipper in my bootie gets corroded from the salt water, in spite of copious rinsing. So I suppose that is a failure point. Usually break out the marine oil or WD-40.

All things being equal, eliminating a buckle and associated strap is going to reduce drag. Elimination of a bulky neoprene boot- is going to reduce drag. Elimination of a buckle, eliminates the potential for getting fishing line or other lines caught on the foot- because a full foot fin has smooth sides with no line or kelp catches.

A full foot fin with a good quality rigid sole that covers the bottom of the foot is also thought by many to maximize the efficiency of the energy transfer between the foot and fin.

The issue associated with drag (from the buckles and boot) is compounded because the diver is kicking, moving their fins through the water much faster than their body as a whole.

Full foot fins are often less convenient to put on and take off (a good elastic heel strap made with rubber or a spring) does have it's advantages. If you are scrambling over sharp rocks, barefoot or thin neoprene socks are NOT going to cut it.

With respect to comfort of a full foot fin, it is generally recommended that the diver use a sock (neoprene or even fabric) under the full foot fin. This reduces the chance for rubbing-- same as socks work when you wear shoes. Freedivers often will swim for 4-5 hours per day, so comfort is a major concern. A properly fitted full foot fin can be very comfortable.

Freedivers who use two fins are almost never seen wearing an open heel fin. We don't sell them because the demand is low with freedivers.

In the water, a full foot fin should perform better - all things being equal.

Another vote for booties and open heeled fins. Have never worn anything else, ever. I have a very long, narrow foot and have a dickens of a time finding fins small enough that I don't rattle around in the foot though.

Ditto.
I can deal with a lot of issues before I can deal with blisters and missing skin and tissue.
Haven't met/dove with nearly as many dm's as many (most???) of the posters on this thread, but have never seen a dm in a closed fin.

Ah, but in Cozumel it is all drift diving. So if I have more drag, I can ride the current more easily and kick less. Like a great underwater sailboat. With gear sticking out EVERWHERE.....

Once I forgot my one of my booties on the Maximus. Carlos wrapped my feet in rags which he ducktaped in place. Worked fine with a open heel and I didn't notice a difference in drag.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom