A ScubaBoard reunion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When Nekton went out of business with my $7000 dollars I became active on SB, essentially searching for information and relief. I had actually joined a year or so before, but couldn't get the hang of navigating the site. It was Wookie who very graciously directed me to Juliet Charters for the week we were supposed to be on Nekton. Since then I have had the pleasure of going out with Spree Expeditions once, hope to go again, and I do reach out to Frank with assorted questions. I have met assorted other SB peeps, but cannot recall their handles, either. There isn't really anyone I have kept up with. SB, however, comprised of the folks here, has been one of my most important go-to resources for anything scuba. Many folks here have inspired me and taught me, even if not directly.

Oh goodness, how many people have I met and friends have I made through ScubaBoard ... let me start with Uncle Pug, who I met on a trip in January 2002 and who first told me about the forum. It wasn't until after I joined ScubaBoard, however, and started reading his posts here that he became influential in my diving ... eventually becoming a mentor and friend who I value to this day.

Then there was the Bonaire Invasion in 2005 ... where I met NetDoc, Cardzard, El Orans, and many others.

A short time after that I started reading posts from a very new diver, stumbled across her classic account of her OW class, and decided I really needed to meet this woman ... TSandM and I have been friends ever since. Without the "introduction" on ScubaBoard, that may not have happened.

There were the DYFO trips ... Ben V, Adobo, Doc Harry, Mo2vation, HBdivegirl, Karen Cleveland and several others ... many of whom I maintain friendships with to this day.

And that day at Cave Adventurers, when two young ladies walked up to me and introduced themselves ... ScubaSam and drydiver (aka Awesox!) ... who I always look forward to spending time with, despite the fact that we live on opposite sides of the continent.

I've had several folks come visit from other parts of the country ... Mark Vlahos, for example, who I've dived with here at home, down in Florida, and most recently in Mexico.

I've taken classes down in Florida with Jim Wyatt and Rob Neto ... both of whom I met here on the board.

I've gone cave diving with Karl Griffing, TracyN, Katepnatl, BabyDuck, Kotik, and several others whose screen names I don't recall at the moment.

Did a Great Lakes trip with theskull last year.

And I had a wonderful day of diving out of Panama City with Wayward Son.

Seems like no matter where I go I run into people from ScubaBoard ... often times it's people I met here that I'm arranging to go diving with. And more and more it's people I've gone diving with before, and had so much fun with I just need to do it again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

People I met through SB and have dived with:
Hawkwood

knotical is the only one for me...met and/or dived with.

I'm sort of surprised at how few people have responded . . . I know a lot of the DNY folks met here and continue to dive together.

As one of the DNY people mentioned I have quite the list.... I could start listing people but I'd forget and leave out a lot.

I've met most of the frequent DNY posters even though I live in Massachusetts and dive or meet up with them a few times a year. Same goes for a bunch of people who live between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale. While I don't dive there as often as I used to, I try and meet up with them whenever I'm in the area once or twice a year.

Most of my regular local buddies are on SB but I don't think I met them here. When I started diving locally a number of years back I found someone here on SB and we were regular buddies until we moved apart.

I guess my situation is quite similar to Bob's

Seems like no matter where I go I run into people from ScubaBoard ... often times it's people I met here that I'm arranging to go diving with. And more and more it's people I've gone diving with before, and had so much fun with I just need to do it again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've met a few folks through scubaboard and actually dived with at least two of them, though I don't think either of those two post any more. Several other people I've dived with have been SB members, but I don't know their SB names. I keep trying, though, to find some "regular" buddies and SB is always my first resource for anything related to scuba.

Like Bob, I have a long list of SB members I've met, and I have dived with most of them. But in my original post, I failed to mention that one of my birthday presents from my husband this year was a SB member . . . he flew HBDiveGirl up from Southern California to spend the weekend with me! Claudette, and her then dive buddy, Ken, were prolific posters on SB at one time. I met them in SoCal years ago, and Claudette is my sister who just happened to be born to different parents in a different place. :)

I have met and dove with quite a few through the Lake Lanier Looney birds,then quite of few more at the Vortoberfest dives at Vortex springs then the mega dive weekends at Jenni springs,dives at Peliam Quarry,the hot hole on Lake Keowee in SC and the other lake Jocasse I have probably met and or dove with a hundred or more Scubaboarders over the years.

Last edited:
Through SB I have new friends on the opposite side of the state (j yaeger & ajtoady). As my wife and I attempt to vacation at least once yearly "up there", there is always a hope paths can cross, and dives can be made. I can truly say, they are qualify folks, and I am better for having meet them. Thanks to SB! :cheers:

There are others here I hope to cross paths with some day......

Back
Top Bottom