A video share site only for diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keithesaf

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello all.

I have recently finished building and am busy testing a video share site dedicated to scuba diving and the aquatic environment: www.theaquaplanet.com

I would appreciate if you could possibly upload some video clips and do some testing for me.

It is really straight forward to use; just register and upload, that is it.

Of course all suggestions and ideas greatly appreciated.

Have fun testing.

Great site, Keithesaf! Really enjoyed the videos and I even posted one. Worked great, so congratulations on a job well done. I look forward to seeing more clips on the site soon. I'm certain this is really going to catch on.

very nice!
a few things though - most of your videos are short, like under a minute. Is that the size you want displayed there or do you want longer videos? Most of my videos are 3-5 minutes long with music, etc (and larger bandwidth). Do you not want things like that or do you want any videos?
Also, it says the site is free, are the sponsors I saw listed the only ones paying? Its a great idea to have a free space for videos but I don't want to get spammed by someone if I give out my e-mail. I don't mean to be negative, I've just had some bad experiences lately with online companies I thought were good and turned out to be selling my info.

robint

Guba:
Great site, Keithesaf! Really enjoyed the videos and I even posted one. Worked great, so congratulations on a job well done. I look forward to seeing more clips on the site soon. I'm certain this is really going to catch on.

Thanks Guba.

Enjoyed your clip and look forward to some more.

Regards
Keithesaf
www.theaquaplanet.com The Aqua Planet - Scuba diving videos site dedicated to diving and the aquatic environment where you can watch, upload and share scuba diving and diving related videos for free.

robint:
very nice!
a few things though - most of your videos are short, like under a minute. Is that the size you want displayed there or do you want longer videos? Most of my videos are 3-5 minutes long with music, etc (and larger bandwidth). Do you not want things like that or do you want any videos?
Also, it says the site is free, are the sponsors I saw listed the only ones paying? Its a great idea to have a free space for videos but I don't want to get spammed by someone if I give out my e-mail. I don't mean to be negative, I've just had some bad experiences lately with online companies I thought were good and turned out to be selling my info.

robint

Hi Robint

As we say here in Thailand, "Up to you".

I have set a maximum limit of 5 minutes though as anything over that really is no longer a video clip, but more of a short film, which I don't really have the bandwidth for at this stage.....but if you must go longer than 5 minutes go for it and if I think it warrants it, I will let it be.

Music most welcome.

As to sponsors, well I definitely need them as there is real costs involved with having dedicated servers, etc

As to your email confidentiality, well I respect that 100%, but the catch 22 is that I need to protect my site from spammers and others trying to upload what is not diving related and also copyrighted so I need to know who is using my site.

Also, there is a great built-in messaging system where members can easily communicate with each other by composing messages and send to their network of friends, so to protect that we also need to be able to contact you if need be.

Well I hope that helps answer some of your questions and we look forward to seeing your video clips

The only concern I have is, do you have enough bandwidth? Just about every video I've watched so far has stopped to buffer 2-3 times. Maybe it's just a busy time... hope so :)

First of all, GREAT idea! I have registered and am currently uploading one of my videos.

As only semi computer literate though, I have a question about this statement:

Keithesaf:
Hi Robint

As we say here in Thailand, "Up to you".

I have set a maximum limit of 5 minutes though as anything over that really is no longer a video clip, but more of a short film, which I don't really have the bandwidth for at this stage.....but if you must go longer than 5 minutes go for it and if I think it warrants it, I will let it be.

Isn't bandwidth based on bytes transferred, regardless of how long the video might be? If I have an 8 minute video compressed to be 80MB, doesn't that take up the same amount of bandwidth as an umcompressed 3 minute video of 80MB?

I ask because I ususally take all my clips from weeklong dive trips, pick the best ones and put them in an order I think is entertaining. Usually it takes two songs to tell the tale (not bad, around 8 minutes worth of clips from usually around 10-12 hours of video). If there is a 5 minute limit, I'm afraid I won't have very much to post at all, nor will many of the other vidiots I know.

Again though, great site, I will be a frequent watcher even if my videos don't fit. Thanks for putting this together and making it available for us.

frankc420:
The only concern I have is, do you have enough bandwidth? Just about every video I've watched so far has stopped to buffer 2-3 times. Maybe it's just a busy time... hope so :)

Hi Frankc

This pretty much depends on your internet connection and of course how busy we are, but I don't think that even with the most perfect settings we will be able to have the video clips play directly from the server to your machine without some buffering.

What I recommend is to download the video clip but put it on pause straight away and then once it is compleely downloaded, watch it without any buffering.

Of course we are still testing various options and hope to get better all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom