Abalone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an empty 'trophy' shell I got in Mexico but the meat must be awful good cause it never reaches Massachusetts.

Here are some abs taken last season in northern california.

Sitka Diver - you *do* know that it's illegal to take abalone while diving, right? You can snorkle for them, but you can't have tanks or hooka gear.

Hey Poog (Mike) I haven't checked in here in a while! If you come back over to Sitka, maybe I will get in the water with you two this time!
I only managed to get one picture while you were here....... I'm a loser :wink:

By my count Ab season opens in northern california in 5 days!! Let the feasting begin. And while I'm on the subject, may i reccomend a recipe, a nice spin on the classic.

Link
Rocky's abalone perfected, the recipe on the top. I think this year I will try some of the others also.

scubamike1974:
Here in California they have to be a minimum of 7" and you are only allowed three per day and 24 all year regulated fearsly by the hard working DFG.
That's interesting - that's exactly what I remember the requirements/limits were 31 years ago when I was abbing out of Anchor Bay (North of SFO).

So Washington state is off limits :frown: Can anybody tell me limitations off the Oregon coast?

Jerry

sitka diver:
Any body ever get abs any more or dont u people like them?????
What size and what is the limit.

Oregon Regs
1 daily
5 annual
You need a special permit and they won't issue another one the following year if you haven't turned in previous year's catch record.

Waters open all year with exceptions.

Tony
Portland, OR

pasted from 2005 ODFW regs

Back
Top Bottom