About FredT backplates & are they compatible with Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by MacLeod
Who in your opinion makes the "best" Stainless Steel BP in terms of function, non-corrosive, finished product?
Jon... I would get the FredT plate even though I have a Halcyon and a Gary Hoadley and Shane has one of Scott Koplin's plates...
I have seen several and they look fine, are cheaper and come highly recommended on this board. But really the plate make isn't that big of a deal when compared to the wing... and in my opinion only... the Halcyon wins hands down for the long slender shape that folds up around the tank without creating drag. As Ben said... webbing is webbing.

Well you asked for it.

I have alot of different backplates as I bought them over time. Use them all for different things.
AUL Aluminum
Dive Rite SS
Dive Rite ALuminum
Halcyon Stainless
FredT Heavy Stainless
FredT Aluminum
FredT 2 piece STA

From a Cost stand point it might be better to just buy a Halcyon setup with the wing. If you buy the wing alone they are usually around $330 for a pioneer. Total package is about $480. So the Backplate, Harness, Cambands, and backplate pack cost is about $150. Also it's polished to a mirror finish which is nice. Really pretty........It also comes set up all you have to do is adjust it.

But I think FredT Heavy stainless backplate was $89 Plus about $40 for the Harness kit. If I remember right. Which I'm probably off a little. That's $130 for his. His stainless is better quality. It weighs more so less weight on the belt. But you do need to do a little finish work to it. I had mine Line X coated and it's sweet. NO SHARP EDGES at all. Coating was about $25. You still need Cam bands at about $50. Plus the Wing at about $330. Halcyon does make a really nice wing. But I have other brands I use too. But I like the Halcyon best. I also like FredT s billy rings and I think 2 of those are $26 total. Grand total is $561 plus shipping from 2 or three different places. And Yes I like this set up better.

But the Halcyon is definately not second rate. I just prefer my FredT. If I didn't have the Line X coating on the backplate I might give the nod to the Halcyon. Because it comes finished. I do think Fred makes a regular weight Stainless that's like $51 dollars or so.

Oh, I had my Dive rite Plates and FredT plates and STA all coated and I can't say enough about the stuff. Works great. I would have gotten the Halcyon but it was polished to nice so I left it alone. When I mess it up it will be coated to. But I alway's use the FredT plates so, I guess that should tell you something.

And his Aluminum Plates are a higher quality marine grade too. Halcyon's are Anodized if I remember right.

All prices are just close estimates. In fact I paid less for my Halcyon set up. But I got lucky when the shop messed up. And they worked me a deal.

By the way, anyone knows the difference between the long and short plates? I'm intending to get one from Fred but not sure which to get. I'm 1.8m tall and my wife is 1.58m tall. Thanks guys!

Originally posted by kinetic
By the way, anyone knows the difference between the long and short plates? I'm intending to get one from Fred but not sure which to get. I'm 1.8m tall and my wife is 1.58m tall. Thanks guys!

To quote from FredT...."The "short" version is essentially the same plate scaled to be 1.5" shorter in height without compromising on the width or the features present in the "full" model. The "short" plate is sized to fit those about 5'6" and shorter to about 4'10". All plates are bent in the same pattern to make the most of the available spectrum of gear and wings from several manufacturers."

Measurments are in feet/inches.

I'm a new diver but chose to buy Fred's standard weight SST backplates and 2-piece STAs, along with Halcyon 27 lb Pioneer wings for both my son and me. I also got Fred's harness kits. I'm a mechanical design engineer and was very pleased with the fabrication quality and choice of alloy Fred supplied (316). I have to qualify my opinion in that I've never even seen any other backplates. However, my pool class experiences with two different BCD's (standard jacket and back inflation types) left me feeling there must be something better. The posts on this board convinced me to try the bp/wings, and after just 7 dives with them, I'm very satisfied with the setup.

Regards,
Peter

Please pardon my ignorance, I am still quite the newbie here when it comes to BP\Wing equipment. I usually try to research this stuff myself before asking, but I cannot find the answer.

So, can someone please tell me what STA means? It seems to me it is an acronym for something on the wing setup.

Thanks

- JT

Originally posted by UncleJT
Please pardon my ignorance, I am still quite the newbie here when it comes to BP\Wing equipment. I usually try to research this stuff myself before asking, but I cannot find the answer.

So, can someone please tell me what STA means? It seems to me it is an acronym for something on the wing setup.

Thanks

- JT

Single Tank Adapter

Tom

Originally posted by WreckWriter
Single Tank Adapter
Damnit, I KNEW it was going to be something stupidly simple. Now I really feel embarassed.

But, now I guess I am more educated to ask my next question.

I have seen comments going around that the Halcyon STA is now integrated into the Pioneer wings. Does this make it harder to swap out with a FredT STA or just more expensive? What are the reasonings for going with a FredT STA instead of the one that comes with the Pioneer wing?

Thanks

- JT

Back
Top Bottom