? about Stingray City at Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the informative advice. It looks like it's a definite dive. Really looking forward to going down there next month.

H2Andy:
oh yes... i patted my wife's.... er... rear end with squiddy
hands, and not fifteen seconds later she jumps up with
a squeel...

all i can say is, she bruises easily... and it looked bad

Put a lump of squid in the stretchy tank valve protector square thingie on the top of your pal's tank- behind their head.

That's a panic! :wink:

hahaha... it would be... man that's mean

RoatanMan:
Put a lump of squid in the stretchy tank valve protector square thingie on the top of your pal's tank- behind their head.

That's a panic! :wink:

Please Please don't give these pranksters any ideas :smileysto

Roatanman, something tells me you have done this before :wink:
:D

parrotheaddiver:
Please Please don't give these pranksters any ideas :smileysto

Roatanman, something tells me you have done this before :wink:
:D

It was done to me in 1984.

We were along while they shot photos for the then quite well known "Berry SCUBA" mail order catalog.

The photographer, known prankster Garry Bonner (from the Berry store he bought out in Naperville Il) pulled this on me- they were all over me for several minutes.

Later that night, we got even at the now torn down CoCoNut Harbour. We snuck into his room and while he was asleep (or out cold), we affixed still glowing czyalume glow sticks to his ceiling fan.

We banged on his door every 20 minutes thereafter so he could get the "whirlies".

He is a great guy, but you gotta watch him.

I also have this great birthmark on my forearm that everyone believes (until I laugh) is a Stingray hickey.

Gotta watch them critters, too.

(try not to be an @ss) :eyebrow: (inside joke)

<<<<<<<<< taken at Stingray city. Dive! in the later hrs of the day. Less folk. The sandbar is full of humanity most of the day. Watch out for the *$%*@#%ing jacks.

uhh not sure if this is still the case....but when I was interning at Dive Tech last summer, the watersports commision just passed a rule saying that only the operators DM's were allowed to feed the stingrays, the customer divers weren't. Seems like an instructor lost a finger or two from the nasty little eel, not the friendly older one.

croyo:
uhh not sure if this is still the case....but when I was interning at Dive Tech last summer, the watersports commision just passed a rule saying that only the operators DM's were allowed to feed the stingrays, the customer divers weren't. Seems like an instructor lost a finger or two from the nasty little eel, not the friendly older one.
Tourists are definitely allowed (and encouraged) to feed the rays.

Over the years several dive staff have been seriously injured by eel bites. Nasty and infectious, these bites are medical emergencies. It wouldn't surprise me if fingers have been lost.

It has been correctly noted that there are two stingray sites in North Sound, and both are often referred to as Stingray City. The "old" Original Stingray City is about 12 feet deep. The Stingray Sandbar is shallow enough to stand, though you can back a boat away just a bit and dive. Yup, you can dive at the Sandbar site.

Some of the old timers who were instrumental in starting Stingray City are still around. Read a section about it in a diving anthology The Fireside Diver which tells the story of Pat Kenney and Jay Ireland and how they started hand feeding the rays. Pat is still active in the dive business as the manager at Tortuga Divers (and my boss).

Pamdiv:
<<<<<<<<< taken at Stingray city. Dive! in the later hrs of the day. Less folk. The sandbar is full of humanity most of the day. Watch out for the *$%*@#%ing jacks.

Do you know any good Dive ops that make their afternoon dive/dives at the "deeper" Stingray city? And what's up with the jacks? :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom