Accident Report...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
Nice job helping out, good work.

Sounds like that class was an accident waiting to happen.

BTW, do you have a medical background? Just wondering since you knew to take her pulse (155, it's amazing what a little adrenaline will do) and since you gave her O2 without permission.

He Doesn't need Medical background, he's a diver. Didn't they teach you to take a Pulse in your basic class?

I still tell every student I teach/meet that if they can take one "advanced" scuba course it should be Rescue. I've used mine more then once (knock on wood it's never been one of mine).

Good Job on the Assist. Combative subjects are pretty common, I've dragged in quite a few. if you're really interested in dealling with that kind of situation, there are different Holds/pins that work to imoblize the victim. I was shown a few by a SARTEC once upon a time after a rescue subject split my lip open pretty good and beat my head in. Hasn't happened since.

as for the horrible contributing factors of the incident, I wouldn't be so quick as to lynch the instructor - well not untill ALL the facts are known, but it does sound like a few heads might roll on this one, some one %ucked up big...

DAN O2 administration was part of my RD course, and really it isn't that hard

NAUI only requires 25 dives for DM and 50 for instructor

good job on the rescue though, it sounds almost text-book

#1. overweighted 30lbs for such a small person?
#2 TOO many classes are taught by making the students PARK on the bottom or on the platforms while doing or waiting for others to do their skills. Ok...lets make them as Negative as possible and blow all air out of the BC so they sit still.
Instructor turns head for a moment to help other student.

Diver slips off platform and starts to sink like a rock. I have seen some really slimy platforms.
Does she add air to stop the decent or attempt to equalize? My bet is that she was not trying to do this at the same time.
My take is that when the ear pressure kept building that she concentrated on trying to clear instead of stopping the descent.
Pain can give you tunnel vision to what is the first or most important task. After a few feet she could be falling at a fast pace.

I feel that students should not be parked during classes. Yes the first couple confined dives will be a PITA with students Bobbing all over, but they should not be taught for the first few dives to rely on using the bottom and then a couple of dives later be taught to never touch the bottom because of silting or environmental issues.

I may be off base here because I am not an instructor and have not had to deal with students bobbing all over. Nor have I been in one of those classes. My Open Water class was a single and it was mostly taught hovering.

Way to go JT2! It must be a huge confidence boost to successfully perform a rescue like that, knowing that if you need to again in the future, you can do it. Those folks are lucky you were there.

Rick

Yeah, they're right, you did an excellent job in here.
Just a question : did you have the chance to talk with Diver #2 (the one with the bleeding ear) after the incident ? Did she explain why she fell down the platform ? I mean, this sounds strange to me - Even if you're a newbie, how can you just fall down platform ? How big was it ?

Just wondering =)

JT2 once bubbled...
Shortly after arriving at one of our local dive spots this weekend a woman came running across the parking lot screaming for help,

<snip story about why she was screaming>

I would like to get everyone's thoughts on this, and how you think we handled the situation. Also, have any of you ever seen someone who you were trying to help fight you like Mike Tyson. Thanks

4 stars!

Writing stuff down, asking about her profile before the instructor went back down again and putting a bubble spotter up to keep track of where the people in the water were last seen would have been slight improvements. Nevertheless excellent work.

R..

Great work on the action you took. :wavey:

JT2,

I think your performance in the rescue was as good as it gets. Good job.

Then there is the instructor. I would never have 3 students in the water in 5 ft vis without a DM. In fact I rarely have any students in the water at all without a DM just for that reason. If you have to divert all you attention to a diver in trouble who watches the other students. I have left classes to rescue another instructors students but none of my student have ever been left alone.

Wake up everyone. Why should a student be in OW over weighted and without any buoyancy control skills. The flipping pool is the place to learn weighting and buoyancy control.

To my knowledge it is a requirement of every agency that students be properly weighted yet I see so many that are way overweight. IMO, this is a gross violation of standards. It is proof that confined water work was inadequate. If the students had trouble on their first OW dives they should have been back in the pool. STUDENTS SHOULD LEARN TO DIVE IN THE POOL. THEY GAIN EXPERIENCE IN OPEN WATER.

I don't need any more info to be willing to hang the instructor. I have seen it too many times. Buoyancy control is arguably the MOST IMPORTANT aspect of diving and it needs to be developed before going to OW. The wording in the PADI and IANTD stadards back me up on that statement.

As far as needing 100 dives to become an instructor...I think there are some exceptions made for % start career development centers. I am not clear on whether the exceptions are for the number of dives needed to complete the Instructor Development Course or if the exception are also for the Instructor Examination.

IMO, this incedent is such a blatant example of gross incompetance it is criminal.

Back
Top Bottom