advanced dive shop with small groups in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And macho ones dive dry in Coz.

Real divers always wear wetsuits.

What the world are you speaking of? Clearly, you are wrong:

View attachment 190882 sea+hunt.gif

Pic from last trip. I rock a J valve.

What the world are you speaking of? Clearly, you are wrong:
'I don't know why you want to write about me. I'm an actor, not a diver,' was his initial reaction to an interview request.

In a 1994 interview, Lloyd was frank about his limited diving background. 'I do more snorkeling than diving.'

'Carrying those double tanks around all the time got to be a little rough on me....They decided to use balsa wood tanks painted silver so they wouldn't wear me out. But I still had to put that damn wetsuit on and take it off, sometimes three or four times a day, because they'd cut from that to some topside thing.'

Unlike most wetsuits of the time, Mike Nelson's was gray. 'They decided not to have it black because that was kind of villainous looking.' The Meistrell brothers of Dive 'n Surf made the suits and spray painted them, charging $100, which Tors thought was too much. Bob Meistrell said, 'They first tried spraying it with Lloyd's stand-in in the suit;he couldn't put his arms down before the paint was dry. Then they had to cut the suit off him. After that they let us do it.'

http://www.skin-diver.com/departments/personalities/LloydBridges.asp?theID=766

Not wanting to re-ignite the 80 vs 120 debate or go down the ‘my op is better than your op’ road does anyone know of the availability of hi-cap Nitrox tanks? I was thinking about dolphintam’s original post and it does pose an interesting question. To run a long sustained deep pull you may need a hi-cap tank. Which ops have access to 100 or 120 (regardless of standard / HP / AL / steel) nitrox fills? I realize Aldora has their own fill operation but they also do group dives as a standard model and I doubt they loan or rent out tanks to other DM’s (but maybe to in-house private DM’s). I started thinking about the availability of tanks for private DM’s or 1 person valet ops that catch rides on larger ops boats? To ‘rent a boat’ for a solo or a couple three divers, is not normally an option due to cost. I do not think Meridiano has nitrox 120’s available but do they rent 100’s? The desire to run long and deep means Nitrox in the normal conditions of Cozumel since the current aids an experienced diver and allows for extended diving, if running a long deep profile then the limiting factor becomes NDL with hi-cap 21% tanks.

I do not think Meridiano has nitrox 120’s available but do they rent 100’s?

100 are readily available for rent on AIR. I *think* all the nitrox tanks are not rented, but owned by the ops? But you can't rent nitrox in anything but an 80.

Not wanting to re-ignite the 80 vs 120 debate or go down the ‘my op is better than your op’ road does anyone know of the availability of hi-cap Nitrox tanks? I was thinking about dolphintam’s original post and it does pose an interesting question. To run a long sustained deep pull you may need a hi-cap tank. Which ops have access to 100 or 120 (regardless of standard / HP / AL / steel) nitrox fills? I realize Aldora has their own fill operation but they also do group dives as a standard model and I doubt they loan or rent out tanks to other DM’s (but maybe to in-house private DM’s). I started thinking about the availability of tanks for private DM’s or 1 person valet ops that catch rides on larger ops boats? To ‘rent a boat’ for a solo or a couple three divers, is not normally an option due to cost. I do not think Meridiano has nitrox 120’s available but do they rent 100’s? The desire to run long and deep means Nitrox in the normal conditions of Cozumel since the current aids an experienced diver and allows for extended diving, if running a long deep profile then the limiting factor becomes NDL with hi-cap 21% tanks.

Interesting questions.

In regard to NDL, I personally find non-nitrox more than adequate on typical first of the day dives since I've dumped all my nitrogen from the day before and the 2nd dive is a better fit for nitrox since I've got loading from the 1st dive.

I personally also don't find NDL such a limiting factor for the majority of dives in Cozumel because they really aren't dived as deep dives for very long and are typically multi-profile. Of course there are a few deep dives that don't fit that profile but those end up not being nitrox friendly anyways because of their depth - Punta sur, Maricibo, devil's throat for example.

Back
Top Bottom