Advanced Nitrox.... can this be done online like Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, there's nothing forbidding bottle switching in TDI's AN program. TDI publishes their standards online. Anyone can view them if you look.

https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/u... Diver Standards_07_Advanced_Nitrox_Diver.pdf

And IANTD's AN program outright requires bottle switching. Their standards aren't online but here's the verbatim piece:

S&P:
F. Water Skills Development
9. Perform gas switches to a decompression gas mixture no greater than 1.5PO2 on at least two (2) dives.

IMHO, TDI's AN program should really be taught in conjunction with DP or Helitrox.

ken, aren't you specifically forbidden from doing bottle switching in TDI's advanced nitrox unless taught in conjunction with DP? The limits specifically state no staged decompression
No. Its taught as part of the AN course.

Did IANTD AN back in 1998, twin set or a single15L tank with H valve and short deco with 50%.

Besides learning how to switch bottles safely, TDI Adv Nitrox also serves as an intro to tech course. It introduces the student to anti-silting fin kicks and may be taught with a twin tank gear configuration, either backmount or sidemount.

I recall reading somewhere that AN without DP or even bottle switching might be useful in the limited case of a diver whose goal is to do long, shallow dives, such as a scientific diver.

Besides learning how to switch bottles safely, TDI Adv Nitrox also serves as an intro to tech course. It introduces the student to anti-silting fin kicks and may be taught with a twin tank gear configuration, either backmount or sidemount.

they have intro to tech as a separate course for a reason....

@kensuf where is the grey area on teaching bottle switches but getting around the second sentence in the standards that say "for dives not requiring staged decompression". There are no deco procedures taught on that course, so you can't use AN for accelerated decompression. No staged decompression means no bottle switching, which is why imho this course is useless without the deco procedures on top of it. I get teaching DP separately because some people only want to plan backgas deco, but what does AN do for you if you don't have the DP portion?

they have intro to tech as a separate course for a reason....

@kensuf where is the grey area on teaching bottle switches but getting around the second sentence in the standards that say "for dives not requiring staged decompression". There are no deco procedures taught on that course, so you can't use AN for accelerated decompression. No staged decompression means no bottle switching, which is why imho this course is useless without the deco procedures on top of it. I get teaching DP separately because some people only want to plan backgas deco, but what does AN do for you if you don't have the DP portion?

You don't think someone doing research in 30' of water can use 50% nitrox to extend their bottom time indefinitely? Wouldn't they benefit from having a stage bottle to extend their bottom time? Of course, these days those guys are all using CCR, but back in the day...

big difference in stage bottle and staged decompression. I don't consider a switch to an identical mix a "gas switch" because the gas is the same, the source is just different...

Do you have to do "practical" exercise and dives to complete this course or can it be done online like PAD EANx?

Your question has already been answered. I just want to add one thing: If you decide to take TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures, which are 2 separate courses that are normally taught together, I would highly recommend that you try to find an instructor that will actually teach it as Advanced Nitrox and Helitrox together.

AN+DP is an identical course to AN+H and ought to cost the same tuition. The ONLY differences are that the Helitrox will also certify you to use up to 20% Helium when/if you ever want to. And the classroom portion will have an extra section on Physiology of Helium and an extra section on Gas Planning for Helium. The in-water stuff is all exactly the same.

If you don't get Helitrox as part of your AN+DP course (i.e. do AN+H, instead), then adding use of Helium later means either taking the full Trimix course, or taking the whole DP course again (i.e. paying again and calling it Helitrox) just to be able to use 20% Helium.

Being able to use 20% Helium can be handy if you're actually going to do dives down to the 150' limit that AN+DP certifies you to. Even more handy if your experience leads you to want to do even deeper dives.

I was asked if I was o2 trained the other the day and I said no but I have AN so i guess the difference is i can use it on myself but I cant administer to others -is that how it works?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom