Advice and opinions: Atomic B2 vs SP Mk25/A700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found the A700 to actually have LESS of a "venturi effect". Case VIVA actually seemed less when compared to the older G250's & D-Series regs. I have compared them side by side. The A700 is however a very well made & smooth breathing regulator. The manner in which it controls the strength of the VIVA effect is different than on the G series regs and in many ways superior to the old flow vane.

That's an interesting observation, and since I am not very familiar with the A700, I'm not in a position to doubt you. However, the venturi assist on the G250 is completely different than on the D series, (the D series has no VIVA vane) so I'm not sure how you could put them together in terms of venturi. With the internal baffle off, I would agree that the D series will flow mightily once started, but IME for whatever reason this does not translate to the sensation of having air pushed into your mouth when used in diving. Mostly, though, my post was referring to the dry mouth effect that the OP was concerned about, and how the lack of a VIVA vane in the original metal case SP 2nd stage, combined with the full metal body, would probably be more effective in terms of warming and slowing the air than a more modern, smaller barrel poppet 2nd stage with a metal air barrel.

I've certainly read about the relative stability of the D series vs the older coaxial valve (converted pilot and Air 1) and I understand that theoretically the older ones could be set lower due to even less case fault geometry, because the diaphragm functions as the exhaust valve, as opposed to a center-mount exhaust valve in the D series. But my experience with regularly diving pilots, Air 1s, and D300s is that practically they're about the same in terms of stability. I've had a couple of pilots (again, converted) that I could set very lightly, but had a few free flows in use. At least with the regs I have (six or so D300s, 3 Air 1s, a few pilots) I find more variance in the stable cracking pressure between individual regs than between the models themselves. I suspect small imperfections in the orifices and/or variance in the springs are responsible for that.

---------- Post added April 26th, 2012 at 07:48 AM ----------

That being said , my friend will remain in NYC while i will be relocating to Austin. She relates top of the line to safety, and considering my lack of expierence I agree.

With all due respect to your friend, she's giving you very bad advice in this regard. "Top-of-the-line" has ZERO to do with diver safety, although many sales people in this industry love to imply otherwise. It a pet peeve of mine, using fear to sell dive gear.

Top of the line regulators offer somewhat improved performance (meaning easier breathing, not more reliability) and a lot of self-congratulatory hype. If safety is paramount to you and you feel that your regulator choice is important in that regard, get a SP MK2 with an unbalanced downstream 2nd stage like the R190. There's only one moving part in the 1st stage, no dynamic o-rings subjected to HP air, and the unbalanced combination of stages will result in noticeably stiffer breathing at tank pressures below 500 PSI. That way if your SPG fails mid-dive or you forget to look at it, you'll get a reminder that you're getting low on air. But they don't tell you that at the dive shop....I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that a dealer makes twice as much on a MK25 sale....nah, couldn't be. :wink:

Any decent regulator in good working shape will offer about the same level of reliability....they're ALL very reliable. Much more importantly, you need to dive in such a way that regulator failure is an inconvenience, not a danger. Diver behavior is what determines safety, NOT the level of gear purchase.

Hi eelnoraa:

There have been a number of post regarding Atomic Aquatics regulator making some unusual noise at depth. Has your B2 been plagued by this issue? How would you compare the Z2 to some of the other regulators that you have used? I also noticed that the Atomic regulators have a very large diameter low pressure hose. It's about as wide in diameter, if not wider, than the hose off my Cousteau/Micra regulator and that has 1/2 inch port. Have you experienced any jaw fatigue or difficulty with the hose trying to pull the regulator out of your moth? I'm am looking for another regulator and choices these days are insane. Was easier buying a regulator 15-20 years ago than it is today.

Thanks,
Claude

We have two B2 primaries in our house. Occasionally they sound funny breathing at surface but never at depth. Love 'em, would buy 'em again.

Wide hose = more air, which is good.
Swivel = no jaw fatigue whatsoever.

So from our end, get the B2.

If you go SP route I would get S600 or G250V instead of A700. It will save you money and I doubt you will notice any difference. Both S600 (post 2011) and G250V have metal barrel which helps avoiding dry mouth.

I bought my B2 in 2005. NEVER have had a problem. Breathes great at all depths & I've done nothing to it besides annual servicing at my LDS.

No experience with the SP mk25/a700, but it's reviewed very well: Gear / Regulators | Scuba Diving Magazine

This is one of those preference questions that only you will be able to answer. Either way you go - you'll be a winner.

Enjoy,

John

In warm waters the cheapest ScubaPro will be sufficient. In cold waters the MK17 is best. The MK25 is top of the line all around. The A700 is the same as the A600 except for looks. A600 has reports of bubbles in the face for Photo. divers. Exhaust ports may be the same. ScubaPro is built like a high end performance car. ScubaPro has discontinued thier warranty program on new gear sales and also now sells over the internet to LeisurePro and thier likes. ScubaPro also requires more specialty tools to service SP gear. Also just to remove the hose from the 2nd stage. Atomic you can service only 1 specialty tool.
My 2 sets of Atomics B1's lasted 12 years/700dives until the IP started going up to 600psi. Replace the piston seat because of normal wear plus relpaced annual service parts. No corrosion to report. Selling used now. Bought a new set of Atomic ST1's that will last me the next 20 years.
Never had a prob. with Atomics and ScubaPro is made like a watch. Both are great but I prerer my Atomics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom