Advice Needed for LiveAboards from Cairns for May 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pisces Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Happy New Year! I'm attempting to plan a trip to Australia for next May (or possibly later in 2012) and as a diver definitely would like to include a live-aboard trip in my plans. I've been doing some internet research and believe my preference is a 4 night trip out of Cairns. I've seen some feedback about the best time to go, and it sounds as though there really isn't a bad time for this trip. Could anyone offer advice on which live-aboard companies might be best - 4 nights, budget rather than high end, single diver, OW certified though wouldn't mind getting AOW during trip. This will be my first trip to Australia so my goal would be to see the most sea life endemic to Australia. I've printed out some details for the following boats : Spirit of Freedom, Taka, Mike Ball, MV Kangaroo Explorer, Reef Encounter, Spoilsport, but am a little overwhelmed trying to sort out which is the best option and don't want to select just on price alone, so any advice (pro or con) on any of these boats would be gladly accepted. Thanks!

I recently went out on Mike Ball's Spoilsport as a solo traveler for seven days. It was the trip of a lifetime; well worth the expense. I have nothing but praise for that operation, those folks at Mike Ball are simply the best. Diving was fabulous, crew was great, meals were a treat, cabins were up to my expectation.

As a solo traveler, I was able to pay for half a cabin and took the luck of the draw with my cabin mate. It worked out fine; I was housed with a solo traveler from Australia. We dived most of the time together. If we had not, no problem as Mike Ball offers a guide on each and every dive.

Don't know what you mean by "budget" versus "high end". Some people would call MB high end, but you really get what you pay for and they are comparable to other liveaboards that I have been on. Look at the total package, location of the dives, and accomodations. I found little in Australia that was "budget" as the cost of living and exchange rate combine to make things more expensive than the US. I did find the backpacker hostels and hotels our of the central business district to be a bargain. I don't say this negatively, just a reflection of my experience. That said, it was well worth it and I am going back as soon as I can. It is a great place, topside and underwater, with friendly people who love to have a good time.

I haven't been on any liveaboards but I plan on doing a 4 day spirit of freedom trip some time in 2012, I hear it is great luxury and awesome diving.

Definitelt stick to spirit, mike ball or taka as the cod hole coral sea trips are by far the best dive spots. Taka is a cheaper and the dive op is fine, however as said above you get what you pay for, and i got bed bugs. Not so much a reflection of the boat but rather the backpackers that go on. ive been on spirit about 5 times and obviously love it. I hear mike ball is the same quality.

Time of year. Yes its great all round. Colder and rougher seas in aust winter time, but you get minke
whales jun-aug i think. That is an amazing experience!!!

Have fun!

My dive buddy and I did Mike Ball's 7 day trip in October 2010, and it remains one of our best dive experiences ever. That's a top notch dive op, through and through. Would be headed back to Australia if it weren't for the insanely long travel time!

-B

Unfortunately, diving in Australia is ridiculously expensive. I caught a last minute discount and did Mike Ball trip and loved it...had also looked into Spirit of Freedom and Taka. It seemed to me Taka carried the lowest prices and most consistently offered discounts, especially last minute, but had heard some negative things like one poster related. If you can wait a little bit and do your trip in July rather than May you'd catch minke whale season.

Thanks for the great info, probably worth it to go with best since it will be my first live aboard and it is a long trip from Boston! Happy New Year!

As MA said Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom are the pick of the bunch. Taka will only be running Cod Hole / Coral Sea trips as of next month once a week, but are a great budget option and often do good standby rates. But as mentioned above, you do get what you pay for. Mike Ball and SOF fly you up one way and motor down the other. Taka motor both up and back and this is why it is a bit cheaper.

May is the quietest month (traditionally) of the year and therefore you could be in with a good chance of a saving. Both MB and SOF have some great deals on (SOF is 50% off for January) and MB are offering $200 of their normal trip prices (and $500 off their 7 day trips).

Both have been extending these each month as it is so unusually quiet tourist -wise. You may be lucky and get these discounts in May, so keep an eye out. (We usually post these on our Facebook page if you are interested)

If you decide not to do one of these trips there are some good ones running out of Cairns that visit the Outer Reef. Look at Ocean Quest and Scubapro (Pro Dive boat). These 2 are the best of the bunch.

If you are looking for company - there are a few of us doing the Mike Ball 4 day trip May 3rd-7th.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom