Advice Needed for LiveAboards from Cairns for May 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another operator to consider Is John Rumney, of Eye to Eye Marine Encounters. He is running some charters in June/July that specialize in Minke Whales combined with diving the ribbon reefs.
Itinerary Minke Whales

What's the difference between the expensive liveaboards like spirit and mike ball and te cheaper ones like reef quest/sea quest. Theres about a $1000 difference for a 4 day trip.

I went out with them in 2007 and had a fantastic trip. Top quality operation all the way around.

What's the difference between the expensive liveaboards like spirit and mike ball and te cheaper ones like reef quest/sea quest. Theres about a $1000 difference for a 4 day trip.

Hi Nitro,

I've dived both, in my experience here's a quick list of what you get for the extra:
- visibility ranging from 15-40 (mostly around 30+) compared to 5-15
- coral that has colour, and is not white, bleached, and ruined by the masses (snorkellers and new divers)
- sharks, potato cod, possible mantas, hammerheads, loads of fish, trevally, plus nudis etc, minke whales (in season) - outer reefs do have loads of turtles but i didn't see too much else
- coral sea - pristine reef, awesome wall diving 1000m+
- i haven't even got to the boats/meals/service etc which are a world apart.
- diving with more experienced divers - on the outer reefs i was buddied up with someone who didn't seem to know what to do with the regulator. I refused to dive with them.

I think you get the picture. But I'm a fussy diver, if i'm going somewhere i'd rather see the best of it and in this case the extra is worth spending if you can afford it :)

Took the "plunge" and booked the May 3-7 Mike Ball trip too, I can't wait. Thanks to all for the great advice, and I'm looking forward to meeting you and your friends Paschen on board!

Took the "plunge" and booked the May 3-7 Mike Ball trip too, I can't wait. Thanks to all for the great advice, and I'm looking forward to meeting you and your friends Paschen on board!
Awesome! You will be diving w the crew from Devocean Dive... check us out!
I just realised I could have got you to book through the club - oh well - next time!!
No idea where we are staying yet prior - everyone is pretty much OS at the moment - I am in Fiji deco-ing before heading to China and the rest are either on Christmas Island or just back from Christmas Island diving.
Will message you when we know more.

Take a look at Cairns Dive Centre's liveaboard. It's on the budget end and it's a boat full of backpackers (which was just fine for me when I went out with them). They go to the closer in reefs (which is all you're likely to get on a 4 day trip anyway) so it's not as much a question of where you'll end up but rather what type of food and accommodations you're willing to have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom