Advice on dive operators in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbranovan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am taking a cruise with my recently certified kids to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Roatan this Christmas week. One day in each port.
Any suggestions on quality operators that can provide a memorable tailored experience for a small group (5 divers).

In Roatan, most cruise operators use Anthony's Key Resort. They are pretty good.

Send a PM to CJ's on this board about Grand Cayman. They work at a dive shop there.

Have not been to Cozumel so I'm not much help!

Something to keep in mind when on a cruise...

The Cruise lines have dive operations that they deal
with at each and every port. You can work with the
Cruise Line and get hooked-up for dives with shops that
the cruise company knows are good.

The good news, if you dive with a shop through the cruise
line, and the dives go late - the ship will wait for you. The
ship will not leave port without you and the family. Also,
the dive operation will pick you up at the ship and return
you to ship before the ship is scheduled to leave.

The problem - you'll pay a little extra for that.

If you hook-up with a dive operation on your own, you'll
pay less. BUT you'll often have to get your own transportation
to the dive operation from the ship and back. Also, if
the dive goes late, the ship will leave when it's scheduled -
with or without you! If it leaves without you and family,
you'll have a fly to the next port (at your cost) to meet it!!!

Just so you know what your getting into...

Enjoy the trip!

Cozumel has numerous dive operators. The cruise ships often use Sand Dollar Sports. They are a good outfit that will also video your dive (you have to buy the DVD of course). However, their rental gear we used had unbalanced regulators. I would use them again but only if bringing my own regulator.
Our favorite Cozumel dive operator is Papa Hogs.They have small boats (not cattle boats), excellent crews and are extremely competitive. They can handle your group and will give the best service.
For shore diving we also like Scuba Club Cozumel.
Taxis are very cheap in Cozumel. Tip graciously.
Stone fish are not uncommon (most venomous fish). They leave you alone unless you step on them. Use good buoyancy and such thing never happen.
For Grand Cayman we prefer shore diving at Don Fosters and Eden Rock. The two operators are just a couple hundred feet apart and offer excellent shore access.
You can google these operators for their sites as I can't post the urls. Enjoy.

For Roatan check out Subway Watersports. I have been working with the cruise ship guests we've had for the last couple months. We do not work directly with the cruise line but we do provide transportation too and from either cruise ship port on the island. Also we have never gotten anyone back to the ship late. We dive the north east end of the island with dive sites that our visited by no other boats, making for a relaxing and uncrowded day of diving. Definitely worth taking a look at hope you enjoy your trip, whoever you choose to dive with the diving here is great!

For what it is worth, we have always enjoyed Scuba with Alison and Chucho Underwater in Cozumel. We have never been out with anybody else and honestly don't ever plan on using anybody else. They actually work together but I think Alison caters more to cruise ship passengers. My wife and I did some our first dives after certification with them and subsequently took family and friends out with them. They go out in small groups, no more than 8, usually more like 4-6 and everything is very, very personal. It is truly like diving with friends rather than just being treated like another dollar. I could truly go on and on about them but I will leave it at that. If your cruise ship docks at the dock closest to downtown you can catch a taxi for $6 to the marina where they are both located. If you dock further down the fare should be less as it is short hop-skip-and-a-jump from the marina. Hope this info helps.

Chucho Underwater - Dive in Cozumel
Scuba Dive Cozumel | ScubaWithAlison

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom