Advice on Key Largo dives needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quite often, the big Goliath's like to hang out in/around wrecks. On my most recent trip I didn't see any large grouper at the shallow sites, only the wrecks. However, back in March I saw a ~5ft Goliath and several large Nassau at one of the sites in only ~30ft of water. I'll have to check my dive log to get you the exact site name, as I can't recall offhand.

You might inquire with your dive op and tell them what you'd like to see. Usually they'll have sites that may be more inclined to have 'resident' fish, or at least places where certain fish are more commonly seen.

You have plenty of opportunities to see the Goliaths and the other amazing marine creatures at any of the reefs and the wrecks. The only spot I would say you are about 80% sure of to see them would be the City of Washington or The Elbow reef as that is where Atlantis feeds and draws them in but you may not see them at all that day. You have a pretty good opportunity to see them on Molasses or French reef as well and the Benwood is one of the "fishiest" wrecks in Key Largo. Tons of midnight parrot fish, snappers, yellowtail, sometimes triggerfish, lizard fish, angel fish, and butterfly fish. The Benwood is great for marine life and plus side its also a wreck!
On a side note we are the other dive shop in Key Largo that puts a guide with you in the water on every dive and we only take a max of 6 divers per trip. We have a full retail shop and a wet room that we will store all of your gear in for the duration of your stay. If you have any questions at all please give me a shoot and feel free to check us out on the web. Thanks and have a great time in Key largo if I don't hear from you!
Kim

You have plenty of opportunities to see the Goliaths and the other amazing marine creatures at any of the reefs and the wrecks. The only spot I would say you are about 80% sure of to see them would be the City of Washington or The Elbow reef as that is where Atlantis feeds and draws them in but you may not see them at all that day. You have a pretty good opportunity to see them on Molasses or French reef as well and the Benwood is one of the "fishiest" wrecks in Key Largo. Tons of midnight parrot fish, snappers, yellowtail, sometimes triggerfish, lizard fish, angel fish, and butterfly fish. The Benwood is great for marine life and plus side its also a wreck!
On a side note we are the other dive shop in Key Largo that puts a guide with you in the water on every dive and we only take a max of 6 divers per trip. We have a full retail shop and a wet room that we will store all of your gear in for the duration of your stay. If you have any questions at all please give me a shoot and feel free to check us out on the web. Thanks and have a great time in Key largo if I don't hear from you!
Kim

See you Saturday afternoon... Can't wait. We are going to come by dive shop first and drop off our gear so we will be ready to go Sunday morning...
Lynn

You'll love your dives in Key Largo. As a visitor, I have a reasonable number of dives there, about 150. I've seen the majority of Goliath Grouper on the wrecks of the Spiegel Grove and, to a lesser extent, on the Duane. That being said, I've seen many Goliaths on reef dives. If I remember correctly, there have been resident Goliaths on Molasses Reef at Fire Coral Caves.

Have a great time, I'm jealous, you're diving and I'm not.

Good diving, Craig

My wife and I just got back from diving with Rainbow Reef. We thought they were great. We only dove the reefs and my max depth for 3 days of diving was 52'. We saw eagle rays at Molassys and some Sunrays, Turtles, tons of lobster, one lion fish and a few sharks. No one had a net or spear so the lion fish got away.

Thanks everybody, it looks like Molasses should definitely be on our list

I agree with previous posts about the City of Washington and Fire Coral Caves. Also, a spot called "Minnow Caves" can have Goliath Grouper, especially if the caves are filled with minnows, which usually happens in early summer. They may still be there now, I don't know. A couple of years ago I shot some amazing video footage of a GG just hanging out in the Minnow Cave swim through. We were nose to nose.

Thanks everybody. Through these posts and some research I have found several recommended dive sites (some with some likelihood for big groupers, others just "must dive"):

- The Benwood
- Molasses - Fire Coral Caves
- Minnow Cave
- Snapper Ledge
- Permit Ledge
- Eagle Ray Alley (other than the name is this a "pretty" dive?)
- Christmas Tree Cave

We would not mind diving around the Christ's statue, but I read that there may be more divers and snorkelers than fish on certain days, not sure at this point.

It looks like we will need to see what we can do according to the schedule ... tough decisions to be made :D

One thing to know is also talk to the boat captain early. If there aren't many people some of them WANT you to have a memorable dive. I think Conch Republic has 'visitor's choice' on some reef dives where the first person to check in gets to pick the dive site(s)? if they want to.

Did my OW down there and month later went down for some regular diving. You WILL love it.

Also, on watching many vids. Benwood and Molasses Reef would be your best bets, but this is only online info, not first hand.

I will be heading with the family for a trip to Key Largo next month. We will be doing mostly shallow dives as my daughter is still JOW (and we are still pretty new to dive). While we hope to see a variety of things, we would like to have a better chance to see a large grouper, like a goliath. Is there any particular reef off Key Largo with a better chance to see one?
Also, how are the typical conditions (sea, viz ...) in that area in mid-summer?

Thanks!

Sounds like you have at least two divers; maybe more? You might consider going out with a 6-pack op; HMS Minnow is fantastic He gets his pick of sites since he has a fast boat, good location and leaves a few minutes earlier than most of the others. Quiescence is also great. If you're the first to book you can usually pick the site. Or speak with the driver and tell him/her your goals. For bigger boats try Conch Republic Divers in Tavernier. Don't remember ever seeing big Jewfish on the reefs, they're usually on the deeper wrecks but who knows. I recommend Snapper Ledge (shallow and jammed with wildlife) first time and anytime. Then French, parts of Molasses and the Benwood; it's always full up with good stuff also. Viz should be 50-100', water in the low 80's(?), and seas mostly pretty calm. Have a nice trip.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom