Advice plz on a Wing BP Halcyon vs OMS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evil_xander:
Wow Chris, I must say even though I work in sales, it's been a while since I saw such a biased opinion/statement without any proof whatsoever to back up the claims. Should I say, good work?

I believe H products are as good as any other major brand out there, but that they exceed quality of other brands? I doubt it. Sure, you get what you pay for, but sometimes you pay the premium just for the sake of a name.

You know what Shakespear wrote... "What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

Cheers

:) I only said 'other brands' as I didnt want to be as direct as to say OMS.

I could stock / sell and dive any tech gear but I chose Halcyon as I honestly believe its the best. It also costs less than some of the recreational BC's I sell. Yes, its fair to say that for some of the Halcyon line (t-shirts/accessories) you may pay a premium, however the core line of BC's, BP & wings, Lights etc is competetively priced and top quality.

I think you need to get out more, Chris.

You are either way behind the curve on what's happening with DIR gear or you haven't been around long enough to know the score. There are quite a few companies that are making better gear than H and they are selling it for less... sometimes a little less... sometimes a lot. Now... one can argue quality all day long but the majority of H's product line just doesn't have much of an edge over the competition. Too bad, really.

espenskogen:
Sorry to have to disagree with you here - I actually dive a Halcyon Explorer myself, and I love it to bits, but the inflator mechanism leaves something to be desired. Off the shelf, it is nowhere near lubricated enough, and I found it sticking on a couple of dives. Not that it's a big problem - I took it apart, cleaned it and lubed it up with lots of silicon grease, and it's never given me trouble since. But the SS inflator isn't entirely maintenance free, and to say otherwise would be irresponsible, me thinks.

E:)

I am talking about the current inflator model, not the old SS inflator. The old model was user servicable and required maintenence, so yes it would be irresponsible to suggest otherwise - so good job I didnt :)

I can honestly say that I havent had a single Halcyon wing returned to the shop for any reason, ever. I dont want to get into public name bashing here, but I stock (and have dealt with) other brands being discussed on these forums and Halcyon quality is unsurpassed. I also talk to other retailers that have had experience of several tech brands regularly and we all agree.

I also rent Halcyon equipment (which means it gets more of a thrashing than your personal gear is ever likely to see) and my current failure rate is zero on inflators.

Halcyon may be competitively priced with OMS, but not with OxyCheq, which as someone who owns wings from both companies I believe to be of comparable quality.

mattboy:
Beware of Halcyon dealers bashing other products and using open internet forums for their own sales pitch. :wink:

It's always nice to have dealers and equipment manufacturers chime in on these discussions, but your comments (at least the posts I've read) are really nothing more than advertising your own products.

Not at all Matt :)

I am just giving my honest opinion and have to 'chime in' when people may be given incorrect information. I stock Halcyon because I am passionate about the brand, not because I am interested in making money from it. (I have recreational lines that nearly do that:))

The 'issue' with ss inflators is way old and not relevant to anyone considering purchasing a new wing.

I responded to the original post because a fellow diver was asking for opinions on equipment that I sell, rent, personally dive and regularly see being dived on my boats. If it benefits my business, then great. If it does no more than help someone make an informed choice then I am happy.

Mandy3206:
The inflator issue is real, I've read about it many times here at SB and many H users complaint about it as the only failure point in thier gear which they love and use regularly, also I've read about some H dealers refusing to replace the inflator when problems had arrised, this is bad policy for a known problem. Later I heard that they abandoned the SS inflator due to the many claims about it and replaced with a plastic one, I even saw once a recall for it.

Hi Mandy, The Stainless Steel inflator 'issue' is way old and irrelevant to anyone buying a new wing. There may have been a dealer in Miami that was not cooperative at the time, but that was not the case nationally.

I promise not to make fun out of your bungee wing, by the way :)

I had the pleasure of meeting the owner of AGIR-BROKK http://www.agir-brokk.com/07c5c892-10f0-40b4-90a2-12960d46c649-29.html recently and got to try his WING. It is designed very well, and he stands behind his product. He listens to what his divers need and incorporates that quickly in improving his designs, even down to the stitching. I have been very happy by its performance, and what I like most is the design will give you the full lift without the wing being pinched by the backplate. I was looking at all brands, and service and quality is what sold me on this company!

HAPPY DIVING!
Carolyn:sharks:

I'm diving an OMS 30lbs newer (donut style) wing, and it works great. It has a similar profile to the Oxycheq wings which I have tried and also like. I basically bought the OMS because after looking at the wings from OMS, DSS, Oxycheq, and H, I decided that the first good deal I found on a donut shaped wing from ANY of these manufactures I would purchase, and then I did! :D

IMO the Oxycheq Mach V wings are likely the best single wings on the market right now for durability, and a very low profile.

As to H being far superior to other stuff... Haaa! They make great stuff, so I'm not knocking them, but anyone that suggests this gear is better than anything else out there has their head in the sand.

I also dive a HammerHead BP/STA, and let's face it, it's a hunk of metal! Hammerhead is a side business of a HUGE metal fabrication shop who's owners dive! They are not as pretty as most BP's on the market (shot blasted), but made of 316 marine grade steel, so what's not to like at $100 for BOTH a STA, and BP (NO ONE competes on that price point).

I dive with a one piece Harness. At around $30 for the DiveRite basic harness, it's all one needs. I does take a bit of getting used to getting in and out, but it gets easier with practice.

All BP's are generally compatible with all wings across manufactures. Some Single wings require a STA. I like diving a STA, but have not tried the DSS system which a lot of folks rave about.

First of all thanks to everybody for speaking their mind.

There seems to be a lot of strong opinions out there and for me that's really helpful.
(The alternative... "Ohhh, well it doesn't really matter what you buy, it is all the same." That wouldn't really help me.)

On a side note:
One thing that became clear is that there is a lot more choice in states. Not just in terms of makes and suppliers. I also checked ebay and the best deals seem to be in the states from people delivering only to the states (or maybe canada.)

I have made up my mind on a number of things:

1. This diving is costing me and will continue to cost me.....but I guess most people allready found out about that one...... :)

2. I will go for
- a singles set up.
- the standard harness
- the stainless steel backplate

3. I have found a LDS that appears to:
- a now his stuff
- stock several brands and makes
- is willing to let me try out
- is located next to a fresh water lake
- is willing to make me a nice offer
- and to top it all off, the owner appears to be a genuine nice guy

(And since I am also buying a first and second stage regulator, new pressure gauge, semi-dry wetsuit, he will get some business from me regardless of me buying the wing from him or not. )

4. All this researching on the net has really flamed my interest in more recreational technical diving. (I don't know how else to describe it.)
So I guess I have my Xmas and B-day presents lined up for the next 4 years. (See also point 1.)

5. As for suppliers like DSS, agir and hammerhead. They will most likely play a part further down in my diving "career". But for now I am going for something where there is local support for.

Regards,

Ice Mike

With that in mind, I would say that if your LDS carries the two brands that you mentioned then either would be fine. The OMS single is a very nice wing and is quite similar to the Agir. If you are thinking Halcyon, then stick with the Eclipse. The Explorer would suck as a singles wing.

As far as support is concerned... I understand your thinking but these wings and plates are pretty bullet proof. Not that you would NEVER need support... but it would be pretty rare. Even if you give them only modest care, they will just go and go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom