AFter several attempts at BP's and Wings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mddolson once bubbled...
Congradulations on making your own choice.

My reaction to the concept of DIR is that these people should not be taken too seriously. The name Doing it Right, suggests that everything else is wrong, a concept that I reject.

We are all responsible for our own safety. With this responsibility comes the right to not only make our own decisions, but also to decide upon which criteria to base those decisions.

I happen to prefer a Backplate and wing,
but I also use an air integrated Dive Computer so the DIR's will label me a Stroke.

So be it.

Dive safely

Mike D
:blfish:

Again agreed on the bad choice of the acronym but i disagree with the rest. When i go diving with someone it is not just my safety i am responsible for, if you are a true buddy you are also responsible for your divepartner, but it is this deeply rooted bad solo mentality that needs to be addressed. A 'stroke' is not someone with an air integrated computer, a stroke is an unsafe diver of which unfortuneately there are a lot. You are free in the choice of gear but if i feel the choice is bad i am also free to choice someone else to dive with. Jee, why cant people cant past an acronym and see the bigger picture :confused:

as far as not taken DIR divers seriously....well i guess their accomplishments and skill in the water speaks for itself :D

That whole "dive what you want, but I wouldn't have you for a buddy" thing. I know this is not all those who dive DIR, but it is prevalent on the board.

sheck33 once bubbled...
You are free in the choice of gear

What we are lead to believe by those who follow DIR is that there is a (singular) uniform gear configuration that is safe.

I thought that that only a pressure gauge on a short hose with some type of break away connection, o-ring/small zip tie, would go on the left side, and a bottom timer would be used to conform to true DIR standards.

Kudos for the skills and accomblishments of DIR divers.

Bill

wch once bubbled...
That whole "dive what you want, but I wouldn't have you for a buddy" thing. I know this is not all those who dive DIR, but it is prevalent on the board.

What we are lead to believe by those who follow DIR is that there is a (singular) uniform gear configuration that is safe.

I thought that that only a pressure gauge on a short hose with some type of break away connection, o-ring/small zip tie, would go on the left side, and a bottom timer would be used to conform to true DIR standards.

Kudos for the skills and accomblishments of DIR divers.

Bill

look at more than just gear when i am diving with someone but it is part of it. And yes i have told people i will never dive with them again BUT that had little to do with their gear! Very recently i was part of a group where 2 divers had a particular bad setup combined with doing a class far beyond their experience at a depth i wont even mention, that was one of the few cases where i said, sorry (you guys are a fatality waiting to happen) of course i didnt actually SAY the part in parentheses but still.

The DIR setup has advantages over the setup used by most divers, also the fact that DIR divers all use the same setup has distinct advantages.

as mentioned many times before, some bad apples spoil it for the rest of us.

;-0

wrote...
Heck, I'm not DIR, but I wouldn't dive with anyone I considered unsafe either.

And, IMEHO, anyone who would is either an instructor or an idiot.

metridium once bubbled...

Hm does that mean all instructors are idiots :confused: :grip:

sheck33 once bubbled...
as far as not taken DIR divers seriously....well i guess their accomplishments and skill in the water speaks for itself :D

Other than the WPKK, what ARE their accomplishments? I don't know of any research projects, oceanic explorations, ect. that use a GUE philosophy/configuration.

Jarhead

Jarhead has it right.

I should probably change it to "...an instructor, DM, or idiot."

Jarhead wrote...

Other than the WPKK, what ARE their accomplishments? I don't know of any research projects, oceanic explorations, ect. that use a GUE philosophy/configuration.

Jarhead
The Brittanic comes to mind...

metridium once bubbled...

Of course you shouldn't. The point is that some, not all, would consider You unsafe since you are not DIR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom