AFter several attempts at BP's and Wings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wch once bubbled...

Of course you shouldn't. The point is that some, not all, would consider You unsafe since you are not DIR.

I dunno just what JJ or whoever would have to say about that...

But the way I see it.... if you're not DIR, you're not *as* safe. I don't think using a 39" primary and an octo stowed on your BC makes you a fatality waiting to happen, but I think it's *less* safe than having the standardized DIR config and a buddy/team with the same config and mindset.

wch wrote...

Of course you shouldn't. The point is that some, not all, would consider You unsafe since you are not DIR.
So you're faulting them for having safety standards different from your own?

Unless you're secretly jonesin' to dive with JJ or something, why should you care? Or expect them to dive with you if they don't feel comfortable with it?

jonnythan once bubbled...

I dunno just what JJ or whoever would have to say about that...

But the way I see it.... if you're not DIR, you're not *as* safe. I don't think using a 39" primary and an octo stowed on your BC makes you a fatality waiting to happen, but I think it's *less* safe than having the standardized DIR config and a buddy/team with the same config and mindset.

My buddy and I have the same cofiguration and mindset, it is just not DIR.

metridium once bubbled...

So you're faulting them for having safety standards different from your own?

Unless you're secretly jonesin' to dive with JJ or something, why should you care? Or expect them to dive with you if they don't feel comfortable with it?

No, there is no expectation that anyone must dive with anyone.
It's absolutly their choice.
I am faulting them for the superiority complex that it is a safer way to dive.
As to "Why should I care", its just a discussion. But when it is stated that DIR is "safer" I don't buy that. It's what drives all the threads discussing DIR's better than thou attitude by some of its followers.
Bill

wch once bubbled...
But when it is stated that DIR is "safer" I don't buy that.
...what if it were safer Bill?

Is your "not buying it" truely the end conclusion after having carefully examined the why's and wherefores of the DIR approach to diving or is it an emotional reaction to the "better than thou attitude by some of its followers"?

One is rational...
The other is not...
Think rationally and choose wisely.

wch wrote...
No, there is no expectation that anyone must dive with anyone.
It's absolutly their choice.
I am faulting them for the superiority complex that it is a safer way to dive.
I'm not DIR and probably never will be, but I have to admit that from what I've read of DIR, it is generally a safer and better way of diving than what I've been trained to do.

I have no idea what sort of diving you do, but I'd honestly like to know what you're doing differently from the rec mainstream and DIR so I can evaluate it and see if it's worth adopting.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

www.scret.org

I knew with the hundreds of projects going on around the globe, some of them had to be GUE.

sheck33 once bubbled...
as far as not taken DIR divers seriously....well i guess their accomplishments and skill in the water speaks for itself

They can't speak for themselves, if no one knows about them.
Let people know what GUE divers are doing. There is no link to your site from the the GUE site.
Accomplishments earn respect. Arrogance breeds contempt.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

btw... what have you contributed to the body of knowledge lately?

Nothing worth mentioning, but then I haven't claimed to either.

Respectfully,
Jarhead

Jarhead once bubbled...
Nothing worth mentioning, but then I haven't claimed to either.

Respectfully,
Jarhead

I've attempted to bring the accomishments of GUE divers to the attention of the ScubaBoard members.

Respectfully,
Jarhead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom