After work Norfolk/Va Beach shore dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewski:
WOW! That's being OPTIMISTIC on that south bound I-95 DC traffic! :D

Probably true. Being new to the area and taking the metro everyday to work I tend to not quite have a realistic grasp of traffic in the area. :D

vel525:
Probably true. Being new to the area and taking the metro everyday to work I tend to not quite have a realistic grasp of traffic in the area. :D

I drive in it everyday and I'd be willing to drive or split gas with ya to make it down there for some dives always interested in getting in more dives and meeting more divers in area.

But I'd expect 4-5 hours down :( so weekdays are tough... but Friday or Saturday, I'm in easy.

Thats great I love to see you guys (or gals) come on down. Can never have too many interested divers in town.

What you have in mind. My wife & I normally go out to eat on Fridays, nothing fancy, mostly just to the Atlas Diner & would welcome anyone to join us. Or just meeting for a little good conversation. I dont drink anything alcoholic, but dont have a problem with others doing so within moderation ( especially if they are driving ). I might even be able to provide a place for some out of towners to stay.

Yeah, I agree on the moderation of drinking. Just using the term Happy Hour. I just think it would be neat to get together prior to Sat. or Sun. Dive the night before. I know I plan on diving more out of Va. Beach this year as well as trips to Hatteras and Morehead City. I got May 12th for Va. Beach Planned ad well as June 23rd and 24th at Morehead City planned. Hopefully more to come. I would like to meet more people that dive from this area. I figured this would be a good way. It just seems that the people from NCDivers have a pretty tight knit group. Why can't the divers in the Virginia area be just as good a group.

Lets get it started!'

Well I think that I will make that dive on May 12 also & I believe I can convince Andy (Drewski on this board) to also make it. I met BobbyT22 at Lynnhaven & he will also start to join in once he has hit some off shore wrecks to get him used to diving off the Va. Beach coast.Then he can get in on some of the better wrecks such as the Luchenbach & Morgan which arent really that deep. Both at less than 100fsw.
I believe once we get a core of local divers to start diving together & become comfortable with each other as Andy & I have become then it will be much more enjoyable for all.
I will be in Morehead City April 28/29 & I really enjoy NC diving but I love diving in Va. Beach & sleeping in my own bed that night.
I am all for getting a group together for all types of diving & social events.
I belong to VB Tech divers which is a good group of divers, but that can get real equipment intensive real quick & even tho Im not up to that yet I am definatly heading there.
I must say I joined them as just an OW diver & they treated me very well & had no problem letting me tag along on rec type dives to see what it is all about & letting me dive with them.
I thoughly think that the best way to improve your diving is to dive with people of all levels to see where you stand or what needs to be improved upon.

I didn't know there was really any shore diving in this area. Would be interested in seeing some of the sights. What beaches are you diving from? Let me know I am very curious now :) My GF dives as well, we are both still fairly new to diving, less than 20 dives so far, but want to increase that as much as possible this summer. Would be nice with some local shore dives and not have to worry about fees for boat diving. Thanks for the info.

Well the shore diving in this area is not exactly world class, well not even low class, but it was very interesting & Andy & I did 1 last month, but the vis was non-existant. We had to stay in touch contact with each other or we would lose each other, that was pretty bad since Andy wears a bright orange drysuit, I felt sorry for him as I wear an all black one. You can see the report on it by looking for it on this forum, might be back a page or 2, listed under unknown wreck in Norfolk or something like that.
Unfortunatly most of the decent diving around here will be off a boat.
Andy & I are thinking of trying to get a trip to Nags Head for a shore dive down there, but of course wind action will dictate whether or not that will happen & when so it will be a quick decision & action to do it.
Looking forward to diving with as many as I can on this board so dont be shy & post any dives planned & I always do the same to try to entice more into it. Especially since Ive had several dives canceled due to lack of interest.
Like today, we were set to go to the Schooner, but on a 6-pack boat & only had 3 show interest & there is no way to go without having at least enough divers to cover the price of gas. This dive is at 110fsw so I know that is considered deep for most & I didnt post it as I wasnt sure if the weather was going to break & looking outside I would have to say Andy is a better weather forecaster than any on TV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom