Aftermarket pockets on a Fusion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
OK, so I ordered my Fusion about a year ago without pockets, knowing about the "sag" issue, and thinking X-shorts would be a solution.

I've since decided that was a bad decision. Now I want to get pockets added onto my suit (it has a tech skin).

Who should I contact ... Whites, the dealer I purchased the suit from, or someone else?

How long should it take, and how much should it cost?

I need them in time for a cave class in early August.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I got a pair of these: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=122 And had a tailor sew them to the tech skin with a stretchable stitch (tailors actually do know how to do this). It cost $50 or so to get them sown on. It took him about 2 hours.

When the pockets are empty, they don't really sag much. And when your harness is on, the crotch strap holds everything in place.

Your best bet is to contact your local Whites dealer and arrange to have the skin sent back if you want a factory install.

Cheers,

J

I don't like the pockets very much. Their only saving grace is that they don't sag while your diving.

Mine started breaking around the elastomeric bits from the start.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4089744-post5.html

I'v been thinking of trying just what djcheburashka has suggested when I cut mine off. The DSS ones can't really sag any worse out of the water & they'll probably be fine once under.

But that's only one experience out of many.

Bob, I don't think you'd be happy with the White's pockets -- they're quite small compared with, for example, the 5thD ones.

Rick Inman came up with a good strategy for minimizing the sag. He sews Velcro to the underside of the pocket/skin, and glues another strip on the inner bag. This apparently does a great deal to reduce the sagging. I'm pretty sure Rick put his pockets on by himself, too -- you might write and ask him what he did.

I've got to solve the same problem before August 10th, for the same reason!

Maybe someone who knows Rick can get him to post a detailed description of what he did?

I find it rather disturbing that we customers are solving the technical problem that Whites claimed was unsolveable. Nevertheless, this anti-sag proposal sounds like a good one.

Bob, I have the Fusion without pockets and actually I was thinking about having something like the x shorts. Actually I made the pockets myself and I'll glue them on a neoprene shorts. You mention you did not like the shorts, could you let us know the main issues you had with them? Thanks, Bruno

Rick Inman came up with a good strategy for minimizing the sag. He sews Velcro to the underside of the pocket/skin, and glues another strip on the inner bag. This apparently does a great deal to reduce the sagging. I'm pretty sure Rick put his pockets on by himself, too -- you might write and ask him what he did.
Actually, I'm using the factory installed pockets.

The thing is, the Whites pockets are made of neoprene and stretch with the skin. I don't think the more firm, 5th D pockets would work well. There are trade offs with everything, and the for the Whites Fusion, I think the Whites pockets (factory installed, and then with the Velcro between the suit and the skin) is the best solution, even though the factory pockets are smaller and flimsy.

Yes, I am still very happy with my Velcro solution, which stops the sagging. Everything is holding like the day I installed it. Someone else I know tried to duplicate what I did but didn't take the time on it with the glue layers, and his Velcro is already starting to peal.

As to the factory pockets, at first I didn't like them because the flaps fall closed so easily that is was difficult to put something back in because they wouldn't stay open for me. But, like anything, you get used to it, and now I don't even think about it. The pocket will hold a spare mask and a bag and spool, and (although it's tight), they fit. The factory grommets are installed well for the bungee loops.

I contacted Mike Pederson, who I purchased the suit from, and he helped me set things up to return the suit to Whites. I'll be getting pockets factory-installed.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom