age and deep diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got started diving at a late age(55). I plan to to do my AOW dives this coming season. Deep diving being one of them. I've heard you need to limit your deep dives after a certain age. What's age got to do with it?

55 huh..? That makes you older'n dirt! I'm a veritable young pup at 54.
From time to time you'll see articles cautioning "older" divers against depth, time, temp, exercise, lifting, sex, life, you name it. To my knowledge there is precisely *ZERO* statistical evidence to suggest that age has any actual predisposition to an increased incidence of DCS. That doesn't stop well meaning youngsters from telling us we're old and decrepid and oughta "back off"...
I tell 'em "just try to keep up."
Rick

First of all Roger, let me say how delighted I am that you've joined us here on The Board...I've got all your albums.

Having been certified a year + 1/2 ago at 51 (remember back that far?), I can empathize with your concerns. So far, I've not found any age-related limitations with diving, although I've not done any tech diving (yet). If there are any age-related restrictions, I suspect they can be somewhat offset by keeping yourself in good physical condition, keeping hydrated and using the immense reservoir of common sense that comes with maturity :)winky:).

All the best.

Roger,
Is there a minimum age to post on this thread?? :D

Seriously, allowing for the "usual" things that occur as we hit, and pass the "big 5- 0" (I'm 53),- I see no reason that you cannot persue diving for many years. As has been said, keeping smart and in shape helps. In fact, I think that I am a better diver now than I was 20 years ago -experience does help.
Enjoy the wet ride,and good luck,
Mike

Hello Roger:

Answers are for information only, do not imply diagnosis or treatment and should always be used in conjunction with advice from your personal physician.

To my knowledge there is no specified age limit to sport diving. Chronological age and physiological age can differ markedly; and each individual ticks to his own genetic clock. This having been said, most elderly divers are not capable of sustaining the work load required by all but the least physically demanding dives. The majority of elderly divers do not exercise regularly or adequately. Physical training can definitely minimize the decline in physical capacity in older divers.

Carl Edmonds, in 'Diving and Subaquatic Medicine, 3rd Edit. p. 456. states "With increasing age, allowance must be made for a more conservative approach to diving activity as well as to restricting decompression schedules. " He goes on to recommend that allowable bottom time be reduced by 10% for every decade over the age of thirty years.

Older divers have a higher incidence of chronic diseases; i.e., cardiovascular disease and chronic lung disease. Atherosclerosis affects the blood flow to the brain, heart, kidneys and limb muscles and therefore the function of these organs. Appropriate screening evaluations of the heart and coronary arteries with exercise testing is useful in older divers before instituting a diving program.

Edmonds also states on p. 161, that "increasing age increases DCS incidence, possibly due to impaired perfusion (blood supply) or to already damaged vessels being more susceptible to other flow interferences." Joint abnormalities also increase the likelihood of bubbling in the aged. In aviation statistics, a 28 year old has twice the likelihood of DCS as an 18 year old.

In Fred Bove's 'Diving Medicine', 3rd Edit. p. 156, it is stated that "Greater age is cited as a risk factor in 11 early reports of increased risk for DCs, but that 3 recent reports found no association." Bove also states that aging increases the percentage of fat, decreases the ability of the diver to cope with hypothermia and exercise stress and increases the risks from the effects of atherosclerosis. (p.111).

DAN's report on DCS and Diving fatalities for 2000, page 59, reports mean diver age at time of death has risen steadily from 1989 to 1997. The same publication reports that over 50% of reported diving injuries (DCS, AGE) were in divers over the age of 40 - but few over the age of sixty.

My personal feelings are that if an elder citizen is in good physical condition and is mentally alert enough to do adequate problem solving at depth, then I would personally have no qualms in certifying him to dive - with reductions in his bottom times and depths, diving in warm water, asking for and getting adequate assistance for entries and exits and a knowledgeable 'buddy' or dive master.

At 72, I don't feel "old" - but I have to admit that there are things that I can't do now that I did 40 years ago (and probably shouldn't have done then!). In many respects I consider myself a much wiser and better diver as I've grown older. However, because of the factors stated above, I have placed my self on a rule of 10% - reduced bottom time, increased hang time and increased SI.

If you are in good physical condition and have no evidence of coronary artery disease, untreated hypertension or other vascular disease - then you should be allowed to dive until they take your driver's license away.

Best regards for safe diving!

scubadoc
Diving Medicine Online
http://www.scuba-doc.com

DiveMedTFS Newsletter
http://www.snipurl.com/buk8

Scubadoc, you're an inspiration to us all !!

However, it's obvious you've never driven in Indiana. If you had, you wouldn't use posession of a driver's license as a proxy for any other activities.

Keep up the good work.

I happen to be quite familiar with where ScubaDoc lives... indeed, I used to camp there when there was nothing on the Island but scrub and wild pigs... and I can assure you, without reservation, that the drivers around Ono and on over to Pensacola are some of the absolute *worst* on the entire globe.
It is therefore warming to know I can continue to dive long after I cease to see, hear or think.
Rick

Maybe all the Indiana drivers move to Alabama when they retire...a sobering thought.

I took my Rescue Diver class with 2 firemen and a paramedic from the local Fire Department. I advanced the theory that I could make a million $$ by volunteering for the Police Dept., and just keep 10% of the $$ I would get for writing tickets. They all thought that was a good idea, but one fireman said you should also get the right to shoot 1 person a month. The paramedic upped it to 1 a week, and the last fireman said "Oh what the hey...go for it and ask for 1 a day!"

Now there's a concept...I get rich and in a couple of years (let's see now...hmmmmm...about 50,000 people in the county, divided by 365 days a year...) the roads will be cleared out.

Thanks for the information. I do have some joint problems. So don't plan on doing much deep diving. I just wanted to know when and if I should limit the deep dives. As for staying in shape, I can't think of a better way then diving. I lost ten pounds the first month.

Glad to hear I'm not the only hippie from the sixties.

The dangers for older divers don't seem to be depth related anyway.

Statistics seem to indicate that bad tickers will do in more older divers than anything else in the water this year.

Deep could be defined as any dive deeper than 60', but huge numbers dive between 60 and 130 regularly, so is that really a range that can be considered "deep"?

I personally find dives over about 160 on air to be a bit "deep," but mostly because I have problems with nitrogen highs at ranges between 160' and 250.' As a hippie generation member you probably are well aquainted with functioning with a bit of a "buzz" so that would make you BETTER able to adapt to to the depth effects than these youngsters without your assumed depth of experience.

As far as the DCS possibilities go, when in doubt, just hang out. There are bunches of bubbles in that tank at 500 psi, and blowing ALL of them at 15' on the way up is not a bad thing if you're even close to your table limits!

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom