AI Computer and SPG reliability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had 3 computer failures in 8 years. (not AI). My analogue SPG's have never failed in 35 years.

Another thing I like about analogue; for me they are much easier to "read". a sweep of the eyes and the data registers in my brain without really "reading".

My wife and I both dive with wireless AI computers and I have never had any failures. My wife on the other hand had a complete communication failure during a dive last year.

We thought we had a good redundant wireless setup, we both had two wireless computers hooked up so if one failed, the other would still be working, but in her case both failed which I couldn't accept. So we dug into why the failure and found out why (these were oceanic Atom 2.0 and VT3 computers).

On the dive boat, the dive master had a hard time moving her reg over to their DIN connector and kept messing with it, ultimately some moisture entered the first stage and sure enough made it into the transmitter which caused it to loose signal strength under water (worked fine above water). Once I was able to take apart her reg and dry it out by blowing dry air though things, it worked fine again.

Based on this experience, I never let the dive masters move my reg anymore. They aren't careful in the way they slap them around and at least with Oceanic's transmitters (I suspect others) they can't handle getting water in them. I would bet that many of the failures other people have are caused from the exact same issue.

I've had a Suunto Cobra AI for about 6 years with no problems. I did have an analog gauge fail. I turned on the air and it wasn't registering, I gave the gauge a light tap against my palm and the needle fell off.

Moisture will kill analog and AI computers.

Lesson learned. I have always advocated the diver set up his or her own equipment. Not just "check it" after some else assembled the rig. Your wife's transmitter checked out at the surface, but manhandling by somebody else caused the problem at depth.

Sorry for the hijack. :)
Tim

My wife and I both dive with wireless AI computers and I have never had any failures. My wife on the other hand had a complete communication failure during a dive last year.

We thought we had a good redundant wireless setup, we both had two wireless computers hooked up so if one failed, the other would still be working, but in her case both failed which I couldn't accept. So we dug into why the failure and found out why (these were oceanic Atom 2.0 and VT3 computers).

On the dive boat, the dive master had a hard time moving her reg over to their DIN connector and kept messing with it, ultimately some moisture entered the first stage and sure enough made it into the transmitter which caused it to loose signal strength under water (worked fine above water). Once I was able to take apart her reg and dry it out by blowing dry air though things, it worked fine again.

Based on this experience, I never let the dive masters move my reg anymore. They aren't careful in the way they slap them around and at least with Oceanic's transmitters (I suspect others) they can't handle getting water in them. I would bet that many of the failures other people have are caused from the exact same issue.

Lesson learned. I have always advocated the diver set up his or her own equipment. Not just "check it" after some else assembled the rig. Your wife's transmitter checked out at the surface, but manhandling by somebody else caused the problem at depth.

Sorry for the hijack. :)
Tim

Well.. I agree on the setup and have always done it but sometimes these dive masters take your equipment and are breaking it down before you can get on the boat and settled. That stops now because I tell them before we ever leave that we will do our own equipment and to please don't move it. Cozumel is really bad about this (working for those tips I guess).

Wow! I've got almost 60 boat dives and I've never once had a DM offer to set up my equipment. The most I've ever had a DM do is let me hand them my fins before I get out of the water and let me hand up my camera, or had them hand it down to me. Setting up equipment for you? Wow. I had no idea they did such things. :)

I have roughly 70 dives on my current AI (Vytec)and have only had an issue one time. I knew before leaving the battery on the sending unit needed to be replaced and forgot to do it, so my fault not the AI's. I keep an SPG clipped off to a lower D-ring so no worries. When the AI failed to give air readings I just unclipped the SPG.

A dive shop I frequent just stopped using AI computers for rentals because they were requiring yearly repairs and usually had to be replaced every two or three year although this is obviously with heavy usuage. That said, the SPGs in their analogue consoles they rent have often lasted several years despite being used on multiple dives per day.

Do you know what repairs they were doing, and what finally caused them to be retired?

Personally, I failed several SPGs, but my one AI lasted through them all. As did my button gauge I used as 'backup' to the AI. Mostly I used the pony button guage as a tank checker.

For the past four years I have been diving with Uwatec AI computers and have had no problems. My current unit is a Galileo Sol, and it is outstanding for underwater photographers like myself. When shooting, I can glance at my wrist and not have to take a hand off my camera and grab my gauge and bring it to where I can read it.

I use high power strobes, and have not had an interference issue. For me these units have been extremely reliable, and I would not go back. The Uwatec transducers are first rate.

Good Luck!

Dan

Back
Top Bottom