AI computer for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwtr1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wife and I have been certified and active divers for almost 30 years. We have finally convinced one of our daughter's to get certified and I have set her up with some of our lightly used equipment so that she has stuff that fits her comfortably for her training. As I have recently upgraded to a Tern TX I was going to give her my old Suunto D4i with AI but was wondering whether this is a no-no for new divers and dive training. She will have a console with compass/pressure and Zoop Novo attached. Just curious whether it's a good idea or whether I should just leave the AI computer for eBay! Thanks.

Bottom line is she needs to be able to monitor air pressure. Be it a gauge on a hose, or with a transmitter/computer, it achieves the requirement. There is no bmp deciding which of those is "okay for a novice."

Obviously you don’t rely on transmitter for tank pressure, in my experience they were never 100% reliable so as long as she has a console gauge as backup I don’t see a problem, hell, young folks are better suited to technology than we are 😉

Obviously you don’t rely on transmitter for tank pressure, in my experience they were never 100% reliable so as long as she has a console gauge as backup
Wait, what? Do you still have a rotary phone too? As for the OP’s question, buy your daughter a Tern too, and toss the old Suuntos.

Obviously you don’t rely on transmitter for tank pressure, in my experience they were never 100% reliable so as long as she has a console gauge as backup I don’t see a problem, hell, young folks are better suited to technology than we are 😉
Do you have any experience with Shearwater transmitters?

Lots of folks tech dive with just transmitters these days.

Let her dive the D4 for the beginning making sure she knows it’s yours, this way you are set to be a hero (if she continues to dive) by giving her a tern tx for her birthday or whatever gifting occasion comes up first. Than sell the Suunto

Let me add, I only dive with a transmitter, SPG is in the SAD kit.

Do you have any experience with Shearwater transmitters?

Lots of folks tech dive with just transmitters these days.
Yep, plenty of, and with suunto, my suunto vytec would often loose signal unexpectedly, shearwater are better but let’s be honest much newer so would expect better results anyway, but after my experience with suunto I quickly learned that it was fine to use the transmitter technology but not without a backup. After all it’s not really an inconvenience to have a pressure gauge on any rig,
Better to have and not need than need and not have in this case.

Yep, plenty of, and with suunto, my suunto vytec would often loose signal unexpectedly, shearwater are better but let’s be honest much newer so would expect better results anyway, but after my experience with suunto I quickly learned that it was fine to use the transmitter technology but not without a backup. After all it’s not really an inconvenience to have a pressure gauge on any rig,
Better to have and not need than need and not have in this case.
Suunto - no wonder your experience was crappy.

I don’t use SPG at all. Shearwater transmitters only. No issues.

Do you still carry quarters (was going to say dimes) for payphones if your cellphone suddenly doesn't work? :stirpot:

My diving history predates a lot of current innovation.....

Embrace it... It isn't evil

(Says the guy who dives double hose regs - LOL)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom