AI computer which?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry man, I was busy with other stuff and would have replied earlier.

The Oceanic VT3 has been great. I only had a signal lost issue on 3 dives over the 5 years. But would be ready for the next dive on the same day.

I have not read any complaints on the VT4 as well. Not surprising since it's an updated VT3 with a dot matrix screen, user firmware upgradeable, and more friendly menus.

I've been happy with my Oceanic VT 4.1, and bought it for a great deal about a year and a half ago. Screen is large enough for me to easily read, but then I have pretty good eyesight. Right now it's around $1,000.00 with the transmitter. I paid about half that when I bought mine. List price at the time was $1,200, but Oceanic offered a trade-in, and my LDS price-matched any online prices.

It's got dual algorithms (Z+ and DSAT), so you can switch to the one you are more comfortable with.

I've been diving with a VT3 as my primary computer since July 2010, the only hoseless AI computer I've owned. Now, almost 500 dives, it's been nearly perfect. I've very transiently lost the transmitter connection maybe half a dozen times, generally have been unaware of it but it shows up on the dive graph when you download your log. I just installed the 3rd battery, the change is very easy.

I dive with a Geo2 and SPG backup but have not needed them to date. The VT3 runs only DSAT while the VT4.1 also runs PZ+ (Buhlmann ZHL-16C). I don't know if you'd be able to match your Mares RGBM algorithm with DSAT but with both algorithms and conservative factors, you can probably get quite close.

I know my VT3 will not last forever and I have spent some time thinking about a replacement, thus my desire for a AI Petrel. If I needed it today, I'd probably go with a VT4.1. The Oceanic VTX is intriguing, but, the problems with the predecessor Aeris A300 CS and complaints concerning current computer battery life and screen brightness concern me, time will tell.

As above, Oceanic does run periodic listed price reductions, they had one at the end of 2014. Oceanic offers a 20% price reduction with a computer trade in when bought from an authorized shop

Decisions, decisions, decisions, best of luck with your computer purchase. It would be interesting if you would let us know what you decide

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom