Air consumption and other ramblings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't claim to be either "very" or "experienced", but I can roughly predict my SAC for different dives. I'll monitor the SPG to see if I'm about where I should be. If I am too high or low I'll start looking for problems with my gear.

I still use PADI tables to do a check against the dive plan in my computer. With care you can use those tables even to estimate multi level dives.

I also use Rock Bottom for air planning. Sadly I find most DMs and insta buddies don't seem to either know about it and/or care. To be honest it beats me how they can do gas planning without it. Maybe its some special magic trick. ?

I was reading a thread on SAC rate, and it made me wonder. Can very expreienced divers, knowing their "typical" SAC rate closely estimate their upcoming air cumsumption rate on a dive by adjusting the SAC rate for depth,

Did a dive a few years ago in Cayman. 200 feet for 20 minutes.

Afterwards buddy said he noticed at the start of the dive his spg was tangled up in a stage somehow and he could not read it. He was not in the least bit bothered as he KNEW he had plenty of gas

While I dont exactly recommend diving without an spg, with experience you get a real good feel for what your pressure is without even looking.

Deco programs such as V-planner tell you how much gas you need on any particular dive for a given SAC rate.

SPG's are over rated...you should be able to get to a point where you can guestimate within a few hundred psi based on a good track record of previous dives under various conditions...
I typically can guestimate, and said so in my original post...

However, a wall dive, or any dive with current and/or changing variables, I wouldn't simply leave it up to intuition... gauges have their moments...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom