Air integrated computers…backup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not use a back up SPG. I do carry one in my spares box though. Travel diving I just use SPG as I worry about transmitter getting damaged. (I've not travel dived for many years now though)

Have Mares Quad Air with transmitter and cheap $20 SPG. Computer battery compartment flooded on recent dive (my fault) and finished dive without issue. Couldn't do it without SPG.

HP hose under hose retainer bands.

Attachments

• 20221205_171110[1].jpg
    20221205_171110[1].jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 31
As I have mentioned on related threads, I always carry an analog backup to AI computers -- after serial electronic failures over the years. Also, a company for which I did some contract work, even forbade the use of any transmitters -- though I have never had any fondness for them, after seeing them fail or even interfere with one another, while working boats, years ago.

The last failure, a few months back, just had me shrug, and continue on with the dive, along with gauges the use of my old dive watch; familiarity with the site; and an ingrained recollection of the NAUI tables . . .

Hello,

I keep spare SPGs along with a spare battery for the transmitter in my dry-pouch in case my transmitter fails. Never had a transmitter failure in 255 hours of diving.

Best wishes Jens

It's just a matter of time and more diving...

I have had two PPS transmitter failures over 12 1/2 years, 1814 dives, 1915 hours. One was an unknown hardware failure and the other was the over pressure release valve Question - Pelagic Pressure Systems or Shearwater (the Swift) transmitter failures

I have dived a backup computer and SPG during this time period. I have never lost a single dive or a series of dives. I have used my backup SPG on 17 dives, 0.94%

My backup computer has been a Teric since May 2019, 474 dives. I have had two transmitter antenna failures during this time. I did not need the backup SPG as my other computer, an Oceanic VT3, is also AI and running off the same transmitter.

It's just a matter of time and more diving...

I have had two PPS transmitter failures over 12 1/2 years, 1814 dives, 1915 hours. One was an unknown hardware failure and the other was the over pressure release valve Question - Pelagic Pressure Systems or Shearwater (the Swift) transmitter failures

I have dived a backup computer and SPG during this time period. I have never lost a single dive or a series of dives. I have used my backup SPG on 17 dives, 0.94%

My backup computer has been a Teric since May 2019, 474 dives. I have had two transmitter antenna failures during this time. I did not need the backup SPG as my other computer, an Oceanic VT3, is also AI and running off the same transmitter.
Are the antenna transmitters in the Teric or PPS?

I use a Perdix AI, and keep my analog SPG in my reg bag on the boat. If my transmitter failed I would continue the dive and use my wife as a check. We usually have similar air consumption with mine being slightly less than hers. She uses Oceanic Pro Plus hose connection so I feel comfortable doing so. In 4 years of diving with transmitter I have never had an issue, knock on wood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom