Air integrated computers…backup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From here: Reading Wireless Air Transmitter using Arduino

A small group decided to crack the code for the PPS/Swift transmitters. They even put together a simulator and confirmed that the computers can read the signals. They start to break down the signal data around page 9, but battery info was to come later.

Successful read by Teric in post 106. Transmitter battery information first decoded in post 127. There were 3 values Good, Low, Critical.
Thanks! The discharge curves still come into play in how quickly a transmitter will jump from sending low or critical vs good - but it still should alert before it goes dead (assuming you’re connected when that happens).

For those that dive with air integrated computers…. Do you still have an additional pressure/depth gauge for backup like a console or what?
yes. SPG. On very odd occasions my Suunto Transmitter has become confused by other transmitters and computers on boat and refused to pair.

I dive an Aqualung 450 and have not had any problems with losing communication to the transmitter. But I could envision not checking the battery on the transmitter before a trip and it giving out, so I do carry a small mechanical SPG as backup.

I dive an Aqualung 450 and have not had any problems with losing communication to the transmitter.
You probably won’t. With a couple of rare exceptions, almost all of the communications problems involve Suunto transmitters. That either means that there are a lot more Suunto transmitters than others, or they have more issues than others. I suspect the latter.
But I could envision not checking the battery on the transmitter before a trip and it giving out, so I do carry a small mechanical SPG as backup.
You could also carry a spare battery with you. They don’t take up much space. I carry three spare transmitter batteries in my save a dive kit. (One for me, and one for each of my daughters). I also bring a couple spare SPGs, but they stay dry. If one were to fail, I’d swap the battery first before swapping in an SPG.

What if?
If the only AI computer fails you lose all the information and call the dive. An spg will let you know the tank pressure and make the ascend easier.
A cheap back up computer will give you all the info for ascend except the tank pressure. But with an additional spg you can carry on the dive if you feel like it.
You lose your tank pressure and turn the dive.
How does your ascent become easier by knowing your tank pressure? After you have turned the dive, why does your tank pressure matter?
If you were still in the active part of your dive with enough gas to CONTINUE the dive and you turned it early because your computer failed, you have enough to end the dive.

I try to avoid having more dangeley-down bits flopping around than necessary.

I'm down to two hoses on the primary. Plus two xmitters. Plus two Perdii. SPG probably back in the room. if one of the xmitters or Perdii craps on me then I'll haul out the SPG on the next dunk.

OMMOHY

I try to avoid having more dangeley-down bits flopping around than necessary.
Exactly. Though a single SPG tucked in right isn’t all that dangly. Adding other items into a bulky console makes the unit more dangly.

For me, it was a logical progression. My first computer was an air integrated console. At the time, my reg only had one HP port. Upgraded the reg to one with 2HP ports, but didn’t add an SPG to the 2nd HP port.

So, when I went wireless, it was just natural to leave the SPG where it was. I only ever have one pressure gauge on the regs that I use, when it’s mine, it’s a PPS transmitter. When it’s aquarium gear, it’s an SPG. I’ve had more in water failures with an SPG than with a transmitter, but it appears that not all transmitters are created equally. The PPS turns on with pressure, and turns off when pressure is low enough. Some others add protocol switches, sleep modes, etc. Added ”features” means added complexity and potential for failure.

While an SPG is pretty reliable, it’s more o-rings that can fail for no benefit that I have found.

I dive SideMount. At the moment, I have an SPG on a short-hose on each reg, but only to make checking tank-pressure without my computer more convenient. I'd get rid of it if it was in the way even a little, but it doesn't really "cost" me anything to leave it.

If I was running back-mount, I'd ditch it to get rid of a hose.

Exactly.

Another important consideration is that scubaboard is a SOCIAL forum. That is, the whole point of the thing is to get divers talking to each other. It's not some repository of expert knowledge like an encyclopedia, where you just visit to look up the "correct" answer. There's a lot of nuance and personal preference that comes out in the conversation, and each conversation is different.

Plus, many of us just enjoy the dialogue itself, since we might not be able to actually dive right now, and talking to other scuba divers is a nice way to pass the surface interval.

Yes, it gets tiring typing the same points out again and again, but anyone who feels that way is under no obligation to participate in a new thread.

Nailed it. Thank you.

If I didn't participate in repeated threads, of which there are many, I'd not be posting much. I like talking about dive "stuff" even if I've said the same thing countless times. I repeat myself a lot, just look at any thread I start lol.

I said this a few years back, I strongly believe if someone takes the time and makes the effort to register and then takes the plunge to actually post then it's deserving of a helpful reply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom