Air Source Part

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arkman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking for the button cover on my air source. Does anyone know where to find it. I couldn't find a part number but I don't really know what to search for. Mine is cracked and I want to replace it. Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2023-08-15 131754.jpg

Thanks everyone. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get parts. I really don't like this set up at all, if I ever had an out of air emergency it would really suck. I got it a while back but didn't really do much diving. Now this year I've done a bunch more and realized I'm not a fan. I guess this is a kick in the butt I needed to get a different reg for my octo.

Thanks everyone. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get parts. I really don't like this set up at all, if I ever had an out of air emergency it would really suck. I got it a while back but didn't really do much diving. Now this year I've done a bunch more and realized I'm not a fan. I guess this is a kick in the butt I needed to get a different reg for my octo.
I've been using the AirSource2 for 4 years; had to service the first one several times, before replacing it about a year ago. I'm now abandoning it entirely in favor of a standard inflator with a long-hose donate/necklace arrangement on a BPW setup.

In theory, I think the breathable inflator is a fantastic idea: less hose routing, more streamlining, etc..
While I -- luckily -- never experienced an OOA situation where I needed to rely on it, the times I tried it out on a dive left me less than enthused. (FYI, I am strictly a warm-water rec diver, frequently diving with 2 or more).
- It was awkward to hold in my mouth due to the position on the inflator (pulls away and down), which could add to stress in an OOA.
- It was not great to breathe on, again adding to potential stress.
- It's prone to air leaks at the connector. I would frequently have to unplug my LP hose during a dive.
- The buttons are prone to sand entry and jamming, creating a slow fill situation. Again, I would frequently unplug my LP hose during a dive.

I think you are also making a good decision moving away from the Airsource. My takeaway from your and my experience is that if you are exclusively diving from boats with larger groups, dive very conservatively, and are fastidious with maintenance, the AS2 (and similar products) are probably fine. Otherwise, a more traditional octo is preferable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom