Airline Thieves!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nativenarcosis:
Pardon the rant but I was unpacking my gear last night after getting back from Maui. Unzipped one of my pockets on my dive bag and it had been cleaned out! Fortunately it wasn't the more expensive things but they did take my lights and titanium knife (oops.. cutting tool). Anyone have this problem and is there any recourse with the airline or am I just SOL?
Thanks...
you should have wrapped it in stinky socks and underwear.Peace

Evidentally at the moment US airlines have far less strict rules on hand luggage. As fuel prices rise and profits drop i suspect they'll start enforcing it soon too.

5 years ago hand luggage was never weighed, size limit ignored etc.

A few weeks ago i had to take a novel out of my bag and carry it onto the plane as they wouldnt allow the bag a few hundred grams over 5kg!

Per the TSA website:
Transporting Scuba Equipment

Some scuba gear can be transported on-board the aircraft. Please refer to the guidelines below:

Regulators, Buoyancy Compensators and mask, snorkel and fins are all acceptable as checked or carry-on baggage.
Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited as checked baggage. A compressed gas cylinder is allowed in carry-on baggage only if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside. TSA Security Screeners will NOT remove the seal/regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.
Knives and tools are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.
Spear guns are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage.

cal2632:
The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.

So the TSA will also VIP your tank at the other end, after emptying for them, its the least they could do and give you a free tankfill after the inspection!! :wink:

mer:
Zip tie all your pockets closed. Discourages grab-and-run on the tarmac, and the TSA will cut them (and replace them) if they search your bag.

:06: Not always replaced. Not even most of the time. Many is the time my zip-tie closed bag has been opened, searched, the TSA notice inserted and then sent on sans any closure at all. Doesn't seem to be isolated to one airport either. After this had happened several times I called TSA to file a complaint. Their response was: "We'll send a complaint to the originating airport".

I understand the rules allowing them to open and search. But they could at least resecure the bag. After all the only thing keeping the zipper closed is that zip-tie. Last time the zipper was partially open and it was pure luck the bag's contents didn't fall out.

Does anybody think that TSA is increasing safety at all?

Anytime anything can be stollen or go missing from checked baggage then ALL aircraft are at risk.
If things can be taken, then things can be added in.

Besides, we now have TSA employees arrested for theft. I am sorry but I think TSA must be held accountable. File suit for the full replacement value of any items missing plus costs.

Oh sorry, this administration cannot be held accountable for anything. :mad:

String:
Cabin isnt an option now over here at least

Firstly hand luggage is strictly limited to 5kg maximum.

Secondly the baggage size is strictly controlled

Thirdly, security has some very odd ideas as to what constitutes a weapon:

Regs? Nope, could strangle someone with it.
Torch ? Nope, could hit someone with it

Various things like that (yes those are actually things ive been told).

Its just my dive computer and logs that get to travel hand luggage with me now.

What, You can't use your belt to strangle someone? How about High Heels as a weapon.. Can you carry a Bowling ball?Has anyone ever thought that someone with bare hands is not defenseless? They took away my Nail clippers.. After all I could.... Clip my nails with them and use the sharp edged of my freshly cut fingernail to Hijack an airplane.

What is worse, is all this security is a joke. A razor blade slipped between the battery and chassis of a laptop would not be seen by Xray, Not to mention that some Lithium Ion batteries can be destabilized with common household, air transportable tools and make a nice big boom.

I hate it when institutions overreact.

Yes the security is overreation and a joke - it wont stop anyone determined.

Have you seen how sharp specially designed plastic or cermaic knives are? Answer:- Very.

Would they show up on x-ray or metal detector? Nope.

Could you smuggle one onboard a plane? Easily

Can i take my regs? Nope. i might hurt someone with them...

Can i buy any glass bottle from duty free, take it onboard and smash that as a nice sharp weapon? No problem sir...

At this rate before long passengers boarding an aircraft will be stripped, handcuffed and tied to the seat just in case.

Had most of my gear stolen in Miami once. If you have the reciepts send them in with your claim. It will expedite the resolution of your claim. BTW since mine was an International flight I got $750.00 for a couple thousand dollars worth of gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom