Airlines and cave diving---Aaargh!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been lucky so far. I've had some puzzled looks and needed to explain what my regs and dive torches were, but they were understanding and didn't give me much trouble. Sometimes I even think they are curious and wanting to learn.
Some friends had a bit of trouble with the Optima rebreather as there seemed to be a pointy bit in the cannister, but in the end they managed to take them on board.

Once, when flying for a Red Sea live aboard. we were told that the plane was delayed because some luggage was missing (nice of them to do that as it was a charter flight and there was a bit more freedom). In the end they didn't find it all and we had to take off. So there we are, a bunch of over 20 people all wondering if they'd have luggage. Not the best thoughts during the flight. Luckily all our luggage had arrived! It's not like they could deliver it a couple of days later to the middle of the Red Sea!

As with others, I sometimes am surprised with how this all works, especially when people check in late or there's some short time to change between connecting flights and the luggage is there! But other times, it's puzzling to see how a simple bag in the wrong place can take so long to find its way.

Is there any compensation when this happens? Probably depends on countries and such, but one would expect that a failure to fulfil a contract would have some consequences. Especially in the case reported by the OP when luggage was lost and then forgotten and forgotten again. Accidents can happen, but after that was real incompetence!

Nothing new really. In 1995 I took my regulator as carry on when we went to Aruba. The scrutiny that thing got coming and going was incredible, and that was pre-911! The last time I flew was 2003 without diving gear, after that I swore to not fly again until the TSA is disbanded, F them!

I only fly now if important and necessary, we drive to Florida and do most of our diving there.

We will fly to Bonaire, but feel guilty about it.

We used to fly frequently to various spots in the US visiting family, we now drive to those locations.

Lots of nice people at JB today. Just chatting with people like that while suiting up and breaking down is a big part of the fun of scuba. I have to confess I am not sure which of those nice people you were.

I was the guy in the Orange Nissan with the little dog. How were your dives today?

Nice dog!

No dives today. I drove to South Florida. I am hunkered down in Pompano Beach for more than a month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom