Airtravel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the airlines want to do away with carryon (not a bad idea if you take into account the time wasted by people looking to stow stuff, but then we have the battery issue) rather than take the F you give me $$$ maybe they could look at providing one checked bag in the ticket price again?

The airlines are on a post Covid high and will just keep pushing the limits until people stop flying, I’m already there.
FSC's this side of the pond still provide checked bags in the ticket price, is that not the case in the US?

Seems like it's getting harder to bring even my regulator and small equipment on board these days. Overhead compartments are often not available.
I put my regs and computers in a small backpack as a carry on, along with a t-shirt, board shorts, and a book, and small personal items. If there's no overhead space, I just put the backpack under the seat in front of me. That won't work if you bring a larger bag of course, but works fine for a small backpack.

I bring a t-shirt and board shorts in case my luggage gets delayed. I can rent the rest of my dive gear, but at least I have a pair of shorts and a t-shirt to wear for a while.

Every airline should enforce the size and weight of the hand carry! PERIOD.
No hard case trolley bag should ever be allowed inside the cabin regardless of size and weight.
I tend to agree. But the airlines created this mess in the first place. They charge for checked bags, encouraging people to bring the largest bags they think they can get away with in the overhead bins. Then, because people get antsy to board so they can be sure to get overhead space, they are more willing to pay extra for earlier boarding privileges.

Recently I started flying business class. I can check two 70-pound bags for free, there's always more overhead space than I can use. I can sleep lying flat. On layovers I can use the airline lounges, where I get free showers, free food, and free beer. It's totally worth the extra ticket cost for those long hauls to the other side of the world.

Recently I started flying business class. I can check two 70-pound bags for free, there's always more overhead space than I can use. I can sleep lying flat. On layovers I can use the airline lounges, where I get free showers, free food, and free beer. It's totally worth the extra ticket cost for those long hauls to the other side of the world.
Yep, add to that 2 carry on bags, and free chauffeur pick up/drop off home/airport/home (saving on taxi or parking costs) and the extra ticket cost rapidly falls away to an almost neutral position, for me its a no brainer.

Yep, add to that 2 carry on bags, and free chauffeur pick up/drop off home/airport/home (saving on taxi or parking costs) and the extra ticket cost rapidly falls away to an almost neutral position, for me its a no brainer.

Yeah, a G550 is always the best option.

It's also the intangibles.

During a layover, I can lay back and rest in a big comfortable chair in a quiet uncrowded lounge, with all the food and drink I want just steps away.

Versus sitting an uncomfortable chair by the gate with all the noise of overhead announcements, reflected sound waves, and people chattering all around. And paying $20 for a sandwich.

Tangibles; a quick check, SF to Coz, $750 more for business class but I have flown business to Europe and it was very nice but I can get most of the rest of a dive trip paid for by the difference so…

Tangibles; a quick check, SF to Coz, $750 more for business class but I have flown business to Europe and it was very nice but I can get most of the rest of a dive trip paid for by the difference so…

Dude! It's about the journey. Not the destination. 😂

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom