Aiyanar - dive pricing expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Marco,
1. What is the reason preventing the resort to run its own dive boat?
2. Who is behind the Boat Association?
3. What would happen if the dive resort runs it own boat? Would it become a wreck soon?
4. Most dm in Puerto Galera are also working in free lance and I am pretty sure none of them pick up US$25.00 per dive unless he/she is guiding a big group!!

I have dived nearly all over the country and Anilao is really unique in pricing structure.

Hi, if my experience may help I have been twice to anilao in the past 4 months, first time in december and just coming back right now. My wife is a non diver as well.
It's true that Aniao is very exepensive compared to nearby spots such as Puerto Galera, that said some hotels are particularly expensive when you incude diving, it seems Aiyanar tops it all. I would have lliked they deliver something up to their rates.
To be honest, I have been staying a week at the Aiyanar on the first trip and won't come back, it seems you're only paying for the architecture and the camera room spaciosuness, otherwise guestrooms are just OK lacking of any privacy and the food is simply catastrophic, I mean not passably edible, no, catastrophic is the term : I have more than once sent back the plate to the chef.
Aiyanar is also known for having a dive price policy which is (largely) above the average (althugh they do own their private bangkas which is not customary for all hotels in Anilao), now if they feel it is Ok for them to surcharge prices like they are hiriing boats, then be it, maybe it explains why their dive boats are often single divers.

For the second stay I went to Eagle point resort which I wouldn't really recommend as well not as comfortable as I wished although friendly people not as stiff as Aiyanar's. I am looking for another resort for my third stay, I have visited newly opened Buceo which looks great right on one of the best spots, european ownership too which may also cater to european divers. Otherwise I think Acacia Resort would be your best bet in terms of comfort, Vista Aplaya looks great for a non diver, small resort around a great pool; although they don't have a dive centre on premise, diving can be arranged with external guides.

Shoot me with a PM if you want other recommandations.

---------- Post added March 29th, 2014 at 01:24 PM ----------

Aiyanar own dive boats called infinity One and infinity two.
I have been told that guides are at most paid 1000php per dive in Anilao, for the top centres in peak season.

Hey Guys,

Im just giving it to you how I get it… And Luko how long ago did you stay at aiyanar? I agree there have been food complaints at the beggining of Aiayanar's operations God Knows the food was no good the first time I visited the resort when I wasnt working for them yet. There were also at the time Lapses in operations with the Hotel House keeping and the Dive Shop at the time...

Since July 2013 Aiyanar's Owners have gotten pretty serious about living up to the "world class" moniker and they havent spared any expense in doing so. The Resort Manager was taken from Shangrila… The new chefs and kitchen is run by Sweet Bella cafe (a gourmet restaurant in manila an offshoot of the famous Melo's Steak House). And a Dive Center that would make any Dive Operation Proud… Managed by a Dive Pro with Many Years at NECO Marine in Palau…

All moves to increase standards to another level… I think proof of this is the slow and constant upward crawl of Aiyanar reviews on tripadvisor… with people whove paid the price and enjoyed their stay alot. Honestly as my side business is Dive Travel Aiyanar is really one of the few resorts in Anilao that I would book my American and higher up european clients in... Accacia being my second choice.

As for the hiring boats, it is true Aiyanar has 2 boats of its own… I have been informed by the owners that the boats are on loan… and until the loans are paid off they will be treated as rentals. Hence the reason why I said in my initial post that please bear with me for the time being and we will stabilize the diving prices soon. Also resorts with their own boats that didnt follow Association Rules in the past always had "technical" problems i think some operators can agree with me on this one...

As for the Guides, Aiyanar has been focusing on the UW photography market… and we try to keep our guides happy… so high season low season our guides are paid the same they are expected to show photogs the best of what they are looking for… with average dive times being well over 60mins… sometimes going into the 100min lengths... your price is right at 1000PHP thats like 23.50USD at a 43PHP to 1$ EXCH rate…. close enuf to 25 for me.

Free Lance DMs in puerto galera are even better paid… going rate over there is 7USD per dive/diver in the group but the bigger resorts pay monthly salaries to keep these costs down and keep a stable of guides constantly ready...

If I could lower the prices of Aiyanar for all of you just so you experience it i would… but with everything that has gone into taking it to the level that it is at now most prices are fair… Maybe diving for single is on the High side and i do not deny that but like I said give us time to stabilize our pricing.

Also look out for group specials as those are way on the more affordable side.

Hope this all helps...

See you all UW soon...

Free Lance DMs in puerto galera are even better paid… going rate over there is 7USD per dive/diver in the group but the bigger resorts pay monthly salaries to keep these costs down and keep a stable of guides constantly ready...

THIS IS BULL ****

Can you substantiate what you had said?
US$7.00 is nearly P300.00. As far as I know some operators are charging around P,1000.00 per dive regardless of number of paying customer. P700.00 to cover everything including profit!!!!

Well I really cant argue with anyones opinions… But I can say this… when you are part of a group of 4-6-8 Divers then Aiyanar's prices are not far from 1000PHP per dive… A little bit higher but with good reason… problems comes with the singles…

When I am in PG next time I will ask around to find out how many dm will pick up US$7.00 per dive regardless of number of diver on the boat!
I do know few of them working at Asia Divers, Atlantis, Big Apple, Capt Gregg, Frontier, LBC and Scandi Divers.

---------- Post added March 30th, 2014 at 11:37 AM ----------

Well I really cant argue with anyones opinions… …
It is on how much the dm earns in PG and some Big Players keep a stable of dm on monthly salery!!

---------- Post added March 30th, 2014 at 11:49 AM ----------

Hi, if my experience may help I have been twice to anilao in the past 4 months, first time in december and just coming back right now...... To be honest, I have been staying a week at the Aiyanar on the first trip and won't come back, it seems you're only paying for the architecture and the camera room spaciosuness, otherwise guestrooms are just OK lacking of any privacy and the food is simply catastrophic, I mean not passably edible, no, catastrophic is the term : I have more than once sent back the plate to the chef.
So the food was UNACCEPTABLE back in Dec 2013!

---------- Post added March 30th, 2014 at 11:52 AM ----------

Hey Guys,

Im just giving it to you how I get it… And Luko how long ago did you stay at aiyanar? I agree there have been food complaints at the beggining of Aiayanar's operations God Knows the food was no good the first time I visited the resort when I wasnt working for them yet. There were also at the time Lapses in operations with the Hotel House keeping and the Dive Shop at the time...

Since July 2013 Aiyanar's Owners have gotten pretty serious about living up to the "world class" moniker and they havent spared any expense in doing so. The Resort Manager was taken from Shangrila… The new chefs and kitchen is run by Sweet Bella cafe (a gourmet restaurant in manila an offshoot of the famous Melo's Steak House). ...
English is NOT my first language but from what Luko had written, he and his wife stayed in your place back in Dec 2013 ie. 4 months ago.
So the chefs must be on holiday when Luko stayed in your premises!!

Last edited:
Im not so sure about that… noone really went on holiday in dec… as that was super peak… And when it is super peak… meals are served buffet style… as our ala carte menu was non-existent at the time...

---------- Post added March 30th, 2014 at 01:31 AM ----------

Im not so sure about that… noone really went on holiday in dec… as that was super peak… What dishes did you order that had to be sent back luko?… So we can take em off the menu….

I don't think taking the dished off the menu would be a good idea before finding out the details on why they were sent back first. Could be as simple as adjusting the recipe would a better option unless it was unfit for human consumption.

What is you position at the resort? Do you eat the same food as your guests?

And Luko how long ago did you stay at aiyanar? I agree there have been food complaints at the beggining of Aiayanar's operations God Knows the food was no good the first time I visited the resort when I wasnt working for them yet. There were also at the time Lapses in operations with the Hotel House keeping and the Dive Shop at the time...

Since July 2013 Aiyanar's Owners have gotten pretty serious about living up to the "world class" moniker and they havent spared any expense in doing so. The Resort Manager was taken from Shangrila… The new chefs and kitchen is run by Sweet Bella cafe (a gourmet restaurant in manila an offshoot of the famous Melo's Steak House). And a Dive Center that would make any Dive Operation Proud… Managed by a Dive Pro with Many Years at NECO Marine in Palau…

My stay was end of december 2013, we even spent the christmas eve there.

It happens that we arrived as the owner's family was also vacationing into the resort. We were only 2 rooms booked outside owners, they also had brought in the "famous chef" who btw didn't impress me much at all... Oh btw, I'm french and also a fine gourmet, I happen to know a little about real gourmet food and self called gourmet food :eyebrow:... for instance I don't call "gourmet food" scoops of fruit ice cream stuffed with cubicles of french gruyere cheese, this was one plate I sent back for instance.. and the best of all is that the chef tried to serve us the same ice cream for dessert three meals in a row. Then we stuck to fresh fruit...
I don't particularly enjoy a "gourmet breakfast" composed with fried corned beef and greasy eggs (fried too cold) either, especially when I instructed beforehand that I would like a light breakfast stacked with glucides before diving rather than a grease bathed one.
So I complained to that ShangriLa manager on duty who assured me with lotsa "certainly sir" that I could have a banana pancake the next day ( I'm a sort of cliché guy who considers the Philippines are the land of Banana or Mango pancake at breakfast :wink:). Eventually I got pancakes the day after which were... uncooked in the middle and therefore unedible, topped with slices of the banana you use for cooked food, not the sweet ones. Of course the following day it was back to fried corned beef, greasy bacon and eggs. That's for the Resort Manager efficiency, and I won't say no more the day she didn't tell any guest the dive center would be locked with my own dive stuff inside because it would be very mean...:D

There's overall a problem of attitude with guests in this resort were it looks owners family are treated well before guest, taht was so shocking at times, for example we were served pieces of the cream cake the family ate the day before but was not served to the guests... which sweet cake btw tasted like garlic butter. One more for the brillant chef !

You mentioned food served as buffet or à la carte ; it was neither of the two we had a fixed menu, we didn't even have the choice, at some time we were served some kind of filipino dish with bits of beef cartilage and fat floating in a kind of curry sauce, and nothing else... it was completely disgraceful knowing we were paying 10.000php for 2 people per night! A special mention also for the horrible cold squid stuffed with minced vegetable that had nothing but the taste of lavatory bleach, hence sent back immediately where it belonged in the kitchen, it was unfortunately seen on the table of other guests the night at dinner. Poor guys.Was it due to peak season? certainly not, as I mentioned there were no more than 3 or 4 rooms occupied by outside guest on the most busy day.

Just to mention how Aiyanar cares about their guest : do you think there was something special on Xmas like a dinner going a bit out of the usual routine? No, not even!
Luckily enough, with a fellow diver I knew from an Ambon trip we could organize ourselves a decent Xmas dinner with our freelance guide and some other divers, as we had brought from outside champagne and also a stuffed turkey specially ordered for the occasion.

I agree with you the dive center operations are amazing, probably because Anabel, the wife of the owner is into photography so, everything is indeed focused on photo, (which is not to unplease me since I am also a published UW photographer :cool2:) that said I feel that if you are not a big name in photo or introduce yourself as one, you will receive little care about. Probably they might be going out of their way if your name matters in the UWphoto circus and will be probably asked to kindly write a good review (it's fun to notice that some photographers only wrote one article in Tripadvisor... Weirdly that was about the Aiyanar).
Aiyanar should focus more on their guest rather than on the media exposure they'd like to provide.

One word for the dive manager, who's one of the only staff I would save from that hospitality crash. A big guy who was helpful and friendly, pleasant to discuss with.

I could carry on for hours with Aiyanar failures, I can understand some of the flaws for a soft opening, I cannot excuse the attitude though and certainly not their pricing at this low level of delivering a service.
Now Marco, you may throw in mottos, future perpectives, visions of customer relationship and all the stuff, I know'em all... I am a tourism consultant for my living, my word of advice is that only the customer experience counts. This is why Aiyanar has poor chances to see me back.

Just a question for you Marco, with no harmful intentions : did you actually stay at the Aiyanar in the recent months and got reviews from real customers (I mean not VIPs)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom