Aiyanar - dive pricing expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bet none of those places would serve fried onion with corn beef or dried fish for breakfast and call them gourmet food!!!!

Hi everybody and especially mlsantos and Luko !

I think that I could be soon the good person in the right place at the right moment .
I'm a 63 years diver , with a good experience in diving , travelling and underwater photography . My parents owned restaurants in Lyon in France which was to be said "the french capital of the gastronomy" I think that we could say that I know what "good to eat" mean :)
I will be to Aiyanar on Saturday with my husband , 62 years old and who was used to be a professionnal diver when he worked . We'll stay there one week.
We have already travel a lot , all around the world , but have choosen to spend our years of retirement half time in France and half time in the Philippines so we have buy a little house and live 6 months a year in Panglao .
We are going to Aiyanar to follow the workshop with Reef Photo et Video and Alex Mustard + world famous photographers .
To be honnest I've find the workshop a little pricy especially for the Philippines and even in Anilao ( where we have already been twice , and the second time for a workshop also held in another hotel ) , but the prospect to be part of what is promish to be an intensive macro workshop was too temptating ..
To be clear I don't mind so much about food , even if I think that I could ve a good judge for it . Our main concern my husband and I is about diving . Luko had is own guide , and a very famous one . We hope to find very good guides too during our stay ,to go to the best places to find the critters and that nobody will be to harmfull for them ( that we dislike ).
At the end of the week , I will try to put here a few words . As after the stay at Aiyanar we join the cruise to Tubbahata I will make a more complete report about the workshop and Aiyanar when coming back home in Panglao :)

Dominique

Thanks Dominique - I look forward to your report. Would be nice to get a little more balance into this discussion as some of it seems to have gone a bit over the top. I thought Marco answered the inquiries quite reasonably but then the grilling got a bit ridiculous. But then again, in my hometown, Melbourne, Australia - you pay at least $55AUD per dive (and that with no tank; airfill, weightbelt or dive guide services). That is just for one 10 minute boat trip - no dive guide, no snacks or warm towels or fruit or anything. So complaining about dive costs in The Philippines seems a little weird from my experience. The Philippines has some of the cheapest diving in the world, with some of the best levels of service. And I've travelled to a lot of different places. In Fiji you'll typically pay $150 AUD (which is about $145 USD) for a double dive. Same goes for Sipadan. Try The Maldives where there are separate charges for dives plus boat trip plus dive guide which easily accumulates up to $80 USD per dive. You can get cheaper diving in Bali...but then the quality isn't quite as good as Anilao IMHO. A lot depends on the volumeof divers they get through the operation and Anilao depends a lot on weekend trade. Have a nice time at the Reef Photo Workshop!

I thought Marco answered the inquiries quite reasonably but then the grilling got a bit ridiculous.
Do you buy PR? What exactly makes you think that is ridiculous? Customer experience? Marco just LIED for some facs that happened.

You can get cheaper diving in Bali...but then the quality isn't quite as good as Anilao IMHO.
Now that IS ridiculous. Firstly you'd rather go diving the good places than comparing prices. Bali is simply outstanding when you know where to go plus you get optimal service, like private guide and Nitrox for free.
Secondly comparing dive prices of Maldives vs. Phils is also ridiculous, it's like comparing prices of streetfood in US vs. Thailand. Maldives are mostly exclusive island resorts that cater to family tourism : why don't you compare Puerto Galera prices to Anilao then (distant 20km?).

You're making too much generalities, too little specifics.

OK....OK...Chill Luko - you get angry way too easily man. But...Whatever buddy - enjoy your diving. I think you need to relax. I think Marco explained (and I've heard it elsewhere and on this site), that Anilao has a unique and confusing pricing structure that heavily penalises solo or small group divers. In my hometown, boat dives are simply cancelled if they don't raise a group of at least 6 divers - a business has to cover costs to survive. I'm taking a group of 25 divers to Anilao so we get a very good deal indeed as regards dive prices - in fact some of the cheapest diving we've ever had. Comparing it with PG is...well..a little pointless. PG is a different situation and it is what it is. Bali is a different situation, so as you mention, comparisons are fruitless. And yes - there is some outstanding diving in Bali - Where have you dived in Bali? I'd be interested in knowing how you rate it compared to Anilao. I just priced diving at Dumaguete for 2015 and have been quoted $55 AUD per dive! So whatever.... Maybe Anilao needs a dive association (most other dive centres in the PI have them,) that looks into changing their pricing structure. To attack one operator for what is pretty much standard practice in the entire area is not helpful. Best fishes.

Do you buy PR? What exactly makes you think that is ridiculous? Customer experience? Marco just LIED for some facs that happened.

Now that IS ridiculous. Firstly you'd rather go diving the good places than comparing prices. Bali is simply outstanding when you know where to go plus you get optimal service, like private guide and Nitrox for free.
Secondly comparing dive prices of Maldives vs. Phils is also ridiculous, it's like comparing prices of streetfood in US vs. Thailand. Maldives are mostly exclusive island resorts that cater to family tourism : why don't you compare Puerto Galera prices to Anilao then (distant 20km?).

You're making too much generalities, too little specifics.

Last edited:
OK....OK...Chill Luko - you get angry way too easily man. Whatever buddy - enjoy your diving. I think you need to relax. I think Marco explained (and I've heard it elsewhere and on this site), that Anilao has a unique pricing structure that heavily penalises solo or small group divers. I'm taking a group of 25 divers to Anilao so we get a very good deal indeed as regards dive prices - in fact some of the cheapest diving we've ever had. Comparing it with PG is...well..a little pointless. PG is a different situation and it is what it is. I just priced diving at Dumaguete for 2015 and have been quoted $55 AUD per dive! So whatever.... Maybe Anilao needs a dive association (most other dive centres in the PI have them, that looks into changing their pricing structure. To attack one operator for what is pretty much standard practice in the entire area is not helpful. Best fishes.
Thanks for caring about my hypertension, but I am not angry : just getting a tad ironic. It's a matter of culture, we french tend sometimes to get ironic in a debate.

Ok, let's discuss about your points :
- You noticed I was not even discussing Anilao "general" pricing structure, but 2 specific points related to Aiyanar : firstly they own 2 boats, secondly they don't deliver.
- On the first comment replying that they're waiting they paid their boat before applying a boatowner scheme doesn't make much sense to me. This is called "marginal pricing" (sorry for being pedantic), applying the marginal cost to the first customers until they have paid everything. The comparison would be asking the first passenger of a plane to pay for the plane purchase cost, the fuel needed to fly, the pilot wages, etc then the second client would only pay the marginal price that covers additional fuel accroding to his weight. Economics justifies the owner's profit as the retribution to a risk of not covering the cost of the initial investment. in a way, this is not "fair" economics.
- on the second point, I think I've said enough. It's the tale of the frog that wanted to grow bigger than the ox (Aesop, mind you).

- Now let's get back to the general Anilao pricing structure, if everybody said "it's the way it goes" since the beginning of times we might be carrying our wood without the help of a cart. Recently open Buceo Anilao doesn't think that way : they offer a "normal" price per dive, whatever the number of divers in the boat. I have visited their op last month, for me it compares favorably to Aiyanar, one of the best location with fantastic shore dive (secret garden), 2 pools, nice airy bungalows, western style management, I am quite sure I won't be served Fried corned beef. Certainly my next choice.

- Dumaguete : you probably dived with one of the most expensive dive outfit (without any reason IMO). I'm back from Dumaguete and dived with Mike's beach resort, that was fantastic and cost me 25€ per dive on Dauin. you should ask him. (and btw, I don't understand your point comparing to Dauin while you say it's pointless to compare with PG. Can i throw in Moalboal, Malapascua, Sipalay, Panglao? sorry getting ironic again... :wink:)

Wow 55$ for a dive in the RNP are you talking about trimix dive?:)
As for Anilao, the most expensive destination is Mapating and it is P2600. You add a DM (I don't know the price as I never use one but lets say P1000), you add two tanks at about P150 each and you get the price for two dives on your own with a DM. Of course you only go to Mapating for a special reason and most of the time you dive closer to your resort and it is cheaper..
If you are two, it is half price, three ...
Where is the problem?
Jale

Forgot to reply to the most interesting part of that discussion that's getting long enough for everybody
And yes - there is some outstanding diving in Bali - Where have you dived in Bali? I'd be interested in knowing how you rate it compared to Anilao.

I am a frequent diver to Bali, coming back every year, hence I may have dived a good part of it, my preferences go to :
- for macro Tulamben area : Liberty slope esp. at night, Seraya, Melasti, sometimes Secret bay
- for macro Padang Bai area, Jetty is fantastic
- for corals : Liberty Wreck (Tulamben), Toyapakeh, Mangroves, Crystal bay (Nusa Penida) if you push me POS2 in Menjangan.
- for bigger fish : Manta point, manta bay, Toyapakeh, Crystal bay (Nusa Penida) Gili Mimpang, Gili Tepekong (Candi Dasa) and LIberty wreck whenever the jackfish school is there.

To be fair in comparison, Bali is :
- on a par with Anilao for nudibranch but Anilao has bigger nudibranches while Bali seem to specialize with supermacro species.
- On a par with crustacean (shrimps, crabs) except for shell species where Anilao is quite incredible at night time.
- below Anilao for cephalopods,
- far superior to Anilao for big fish and blue water diving, I would put Anilao's Beatrice Rock besides which is one of my favorite dives.
- Much better for coral dives.
- Better for diving organization and the average level of guides (although some Anilao free lance guides are bio experts), you should try Liberty Dive Centre in Tulamben once. The quality you get per $ is simply incredible.

In a nutshell, I would pick Anilao for a week stay or less and Bali everytime for a longer stay.

Last edited:
Thanks Luko - agree re nudibranchs in Bali - we stayed at Villa Markisa near Tulamben (well closer to Seraya) and that is one impressive resort. Christiana (manageress) is a nudi expert. The Liberty wreck is amazing but general consensus was that Bunaken (North Sulawesi) and Dumaguete (the site of our previous two trips) offered a little more diversity and colour than the Tulamber area. I would have thought Verde Island would be up there with any of the fish action in Bali? And Buceo does look very interesting and I would be interested in any feedback once you have experienced it. Re diving with the most expensive outfit in Dumaguete ("without any reason IMO")...well if you haven't been to Atmosphere Resort, then you need to reserve your judgement as this is the finest dive resort I have ever been to. Way more impressive than Kapalai - up there with Palau Pacific Resort and totally professional with gourmet food worthy of the finest restaurant. A total luxury dive resort and yes you do pay for it. In 2011 and 2012 we got very special opening deals as we were one of the first groups to go there - it was quite affordable though things have changed a bit. What makes Bali expensive for Australians is the airfare which escalates during holiday periods - we fly over Bali to get to The Philippines and yet Manilla is a cheaper flight than Denpasar.

Back
Top Bottom