Alabama Point Dive Report 1-27-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neap tides just don't make for the best dive conditions... Sure, there is less current, but far less clean water being flushed in from the Gulf. A larger swing day and a slack tide dive is always prefferable.

I think you guys might have gotten killed by a North wind pushing all the tannic river/bay water over the jetties as well - kinda like we had on the 1st.

WOW what a incredible day of diving!!!!!!!! We were greeted with warm sunny day and temps in the mid to high 60's. The day started off well with meeting up with wjefferis and gulfdiver. We geared up and were getting ready to head out when cmufieldhockey came zippin into the parkinglot came to a screachin hault jumped out and said. "Im here let go!!!!".. SO we came to the idea that we'd do the long haul to the end of the Jetties and swim around the point and dice our way back to the wall. At that point we'd evaluate the situation to see who would do a second dive of who had enough air left. AAfter the death march :(to the end of the beach the crisp gulf water was a welcome and refreshing gift. From that point we buddy'd up i drew the luckey straw and had cmufieldhockey as my dive partner:D. a short surface swin to the point and we were all ready to blow some bubbles. ahhhh wat a flash back to my northern california diving days. The dive started out ith an awsome 1-3ft of vis. and at about 20 feet is got really really dark. I grabed my light and setteled in at around 25 feet to make sure my dive duddie made it down alright. After a short bottom intervile i signeled to cmu to surface and re-evaluate the dive plan. After we hit the surface we were met by wjefferis and gulfdiver. they called it a dive and surface swam back to the wall and were going to check things out there. CMU and i decided to hit the rock/sand line and feel our way back to the wall. We hit our target at about 28 ft and from that polint we felt our way back. I couldnt of asked for a bettter dive partner. It makes for a wonderful dive when you can rely and trust the person that you dive with. I was having flashbacks for diving back home with the armlenght viv and crisp watertemp which by the way at depth was a balmy 53 degrees. After crawling our way around the gulf floor we made it back to our exit destination. We quickly got out of our gear and headed back to the wall to fish for wjefferies and gulfdiver. We found them right up against the wall and proceeded to toss in a snaplink and try to give them a little excitement.
CMU caught a big one.!!!!!!! OUr post dive debriefing took place at TackyJacks. AS all ways the day diving was GREAT!!!!!! and the company was even better. I just love the days diving when even a little adventer makes for a great day.
PEACE OUT!!! till next time we meet up again.
Andreas

What a bunch of troopers!!! It reminds me of my OW check out dive at the Destin Jetties in the month of December a few years back on a cold rainy day with about 3 ft of vis and water temps around 55*. The current was pulling so strong I felt like a Navy Seal grabbing onto the rocks and pulling my way back to shore. :D

Back
Top Bottom