Alcohol and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few people replied but went off on to discuss what they wanted. Happens a bit on this board, but there are a lot of people who are knowledgeable and post responses.

But if i dont drink the day before a dive and drink plenty of liquids is this enough?

The answer to your question is YES.

And no.

DCS symptoms can come on several hours after the dive. Drinking after diving can mask DCS symptoms.

And every diver can get bent, and it can happen on dives that are within a good profile.

So don't drink after the dive is what you are saying?

why wait until the dive is over? :eyebrow:

617msbeer.jpg

obviously you people cannot read. I explained in the post that I was not going to be drinking the night before and all but 1 person just keeps talking about going hung over or drinking. Never mind I think I got my answer.

Ooooh, an angry drunk.

Not angry at all I had already read not to drink the night before. I had read why it wasn't a good idea. I even posted it is common sense not to drink while diving. That I was not going to drink the night before. And all anyone could post was the obvious and not a answer to my question at all. I am not a idiot at all I have a education and make a good living. And I am very easy going person. So sorry for the post earlier I was looking for the answer either good or bad to a question that had not been ask to my knowledge.

Thank you

In an effort to directly address your question, if you normally take the night off from drinking before performing physical activities, and have no problems, I can't imagine it would be any different for diving. Physiologically, it probably shouldn't make a difference as long as your body has processed the alcohol and you aren't disoriented or dehydrated (which one or two days off should rectify). TO be very clear, my opinion is that you should be fine, assuming you are suffering no alcohol-related ailments (i.e. cirrhosis would change my answer).

wausman, if you don't drink for 24 hours before a dive, as you stated, and drink plenty of water and/or electrolyte replacement drinks, you should be fine to dive. After diving you can have a few beers if you want, but don't overdo it. I usually have a glass of water first, then another glass or two for each beer afterward. (water, beer, water, beer). Since I usually boat dive, there's an hour or two surface interval before I have the first beer (or whatever I happen to drink).

obviously you people cannot read. I explained in the post that I was not going to be drinking the night before and all but 1 person just keeps talking about going hung over or drinking. Never mind I think I got my answer.

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

So don't drink after the dive is what you are saying?

I'm suggesting that if one chooses to drink after diving, wait several hours, and do not drink to excess.

Back
Top Bottom