All around good recreational reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox capatible (future proof)
Balanced (easy breathing)
Non-Piston (keep water out of the unit for longevity)
DVT (nice but not required)

A couple of quick things; balanced has very little to do with easy breathing (except at very low tank pressures), and "non-piston" has nothing to do with longevity. All regs are nitrox compatible; only O2 mixes higher than 40% need 02 cleaning.

That said, maybe the zeagle envoy or aqualung titan would fit your criteria.

Actually, the one that fits your question, durable, easy to find parts and service for everywhere, easy to repair and maintain and has exceptional performance for the price, the AL Titan LX. N

Ditto what Nemrod says.

GT3 with DVT and anyone of their octos will be around 500 dollars, diaphragm regulator, second stage is adjustable to so you can change how the reg breathes.

There are a couple ways to go. I've done research through the US Navy and other companies to check on reliability in cool waters. Better regs are tested to about 38 degrees F. If you want a reg for colder, you may need to exceed the $500 cap.

Here are a couple examples of packages to consider.

All prices are from LeisurePro (online - NY store)

ScubaPro Mk17/S555 - 349.00 at LP
ScubaPro Mk25/S555 - 399.00 at LP (Mk25 rated to 37 degrees by SP and the US Navy)
ScubaPro Mk25/G250HP - 414.99 at LP
ScubaPro R290 Octo - 89.99 at LP
ScubaPro R295 Octo - 124.99 at LP

Apeks XTX40/XTX40 - 374.95 at LP
Apeks XTX20 Octo - 134.95 at LP

Maybe check the blizzard out????

Welcome to Sherwood Scuba!

The blizzard first stage is a balanced piston. But it is a "dry first stage". From my understanding, the maximus and blizzard are the most cold resistant of the second stages. And the sherwood firststage is one of the best for cold water diving, despite being a "piston" type.

There has been several write up about there artic resistance, and the ability to operate despite being coated in ice.

I have to say that Getwet2 suggested a real good performer in the Sherwood Blizzard.
I'm a Sherwood Oasis owner and have been very happy with it's performance. The Blizzard and Oasis are essentially the same reg and you'd probably be very happy with either. It should be well within your budget complete with octo. I purchased a Sherwood package with Tortuga BC, Gemini breathable inflator and Oasis regulator for $700 so I'd suspect that with that reg and your choice of octo you'd still have some money left in your pocket.

I live in Florida and travel to the Carribean once a year to dive. I'm still not that great after 4 yrs of diving of knowing the mechanics of a reg. But I know I won't be diving in cold water and probably won't be deeper then 130fsw. I will staying recreational for a long time. I have tryed a few regs from resorts I've stayed at in the carribean which I think they were scubapro brand. They were just OK. I used to have a AL titan LX which was OK. I am looking for a very nice reg for around $300. I am not sure about piston and diaphram? I know I want this reg to last a long time and I don't want to worry about corrosion but I am very anal about making sure everything is rinsed well. So I know alot of people will just give me there favorites but for someone that does the type of diving I do what reg would you recommend? I like the compact type regs not the big heavy things I see alot. Also will any brand of octo go with any brand of reg? Stupid question but like I said not that great about understanding equipment.

Scuba Pro MK 17/S555, or Aqualung Legend lx Supreme there dvt is called ACD i think.
Both of these regs will go anywhere and they Both breath Great!
The Scuapro will be less money but you dont get the DVT, which i would rather have a smoothe breather then the DVT.
The Legend will give you both.
But it may be out of your budget.

I live in Florida and travel to the Carribean once a year to dive. I'm still not that great after 4 yrs of diving of knowing the mechanics of a reg. But I know I won't be diving in cold water and probably won't be deeper then 130fsw. I will staying recreational for a long time. I have tryed a few regs from resorts I've stayed at in the carribean which I think they were scubapro brand. They were just OK. I used to have a AL titan LX which was OK. I am looking for a very nice reg for around $300. I am not sure about piston and diaphram? I know I want this reg to last a long time and I don't want to worry about corrosion but I am very anal about making sure everything is rinsed well. So I know alot of people will just give me there favorites but for someone that does the type of diving I do what reg would you recommend? I like the compact type regs not the big heavy things I see alot. Also will any brand of octo go with any brand of reg? Stupid question but like I said not that great about understanding equipment.

I recommend Scubapro MK2 /R395 Piston 250.00 +-
or Aqualung Calypso Piston type 180.00 @lp
These regs are Bullet proof and for your kind of diving should last a long time.
Most the rentals you see in resorts are these two regs,low maintenace reliable .

There are a couple ways to go. I've done research through the US Navy and other companies to check on reliability in cool waters. Better regs are tested to about 38 degrees F. If you want a reg for colder, you may need to exceed the $500 cap.

Here are a couple examples of packages to consider.

All prices are from LeisurePro (online - NY store)

ScubaPro Mk17/S555 - 349.00 at LP
ScubaPro Mk25/S555 - 399.00 at LP (Mk25 rated to 37 degrees by SP and the US Navy)
ScubaPro Mk25/G250HP - 414.99 at LP
ScubaPro R290 Octo - 89.99 at LP
ScubaPro R295 Octo - 124.99 at LP

Apeks XTX40/XTX40 - 374.95 at LP
Apeks XTX20 Octo - 134.95 at LP

Here's a warning about purchasing Scuba Pro gear from LP - when you take your reg to be serviced you will have to PAY FOR PARTS - to the tune of $150 per year(if not more). If you buy your Scuba Pro gear from an authorized dealer (LP is not a Scuba Pro Authorized dealer even thought they sell their stuff - it's grey market gear) - your parts will be included in your annual service. but only if you get it serviced annually.

You may save $200 - $300 up front but if you keep your reg in good working order it can last many years - I have had my sherwood reg now for 13 years. paying $150/year for parts that would have been incl had this been a SP reg = $1950.00 in parts alone...

My vote would be for MK17/600. I am also waiting to see the new Sherwood reg that is coming out this year. The Oceanic with the DVT is pretty cool too. I use those when I dive at the Tennessee Aquarium.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom