All around good recreational reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a single 1st stage and two 2nd stages, I think $75 would be about the maximum for the kits. That's still an outrageous price considering what the kits include; a few o-rings and maybe bushings, a seat, and a filter element.

well what ever the cost for the parts are, my indisputable point is this, if you buy from an authorized dealer you DON'T pay for parts as long as you have your products serviced according to the ScubaPro Warranty, if you don't buy from an authorized retailer then and don't keep the service up you do. You may save $300 up front but cost for parts will FAR Exceed the money you save up front.

If ScubaToys will match LP's prices and is an authorized ScubaPro shop, then you can avoid the hassle by buying the regs there.

If ScubaToys will match LP's prices and is an authorized ScubaPro shop, then you can avoid the hassle by buying the regs there.

I don't see where they list Scuba Pro as a manufacturer that they sell:

Aeris | Akona | Amphibious Outfitters | Apollo | Armor | Bare | Bonica | Catalina | Cetecea | Cressi Sub | Dacor | Dive Rite | DUI | Genesis | Henderson | Hollis | Ikelite | IST | JBL | Luminox | Luxfer | Mares | McNett | Mountain Shirts | Misc Scubatoys | Naui | NeoSport | New World | Oceanic | Ocean Master | Ocean Reef | Otter Box | OMS | Oxycheq | Pelican | Pinnacle | Poseidon | Princeton Tec | Pro Ear | PST | SeaPearls | Sea Window | Sporasub | St. Moritz | Sea & Sea | SeaCure | SeaLife | SeaVision | Sherwood | Spare Air | Stahlsac | Tiddies | Tilos | Trident | Tusa | Ultimate Products | Underwater Kinetics | Uzzi | Whites | Worthington | XS Scuba | Zeagle

so your reasoning is still flawed.

well what ever the cost for the parts are, my indisputable point is this, if you buy from an authorized dealer you DON'T pay for parts as long as you have your products serviced according to the ScubaPro Warranty, if you don't buy from an authorized retailer then and don't keep the service up you do. You may save $300 up front but cost for parts will FAR Exceed the money you save up front.

This is true if you have your reg serviced every year. If you want the least expensive way to own SP regs, (outside of DIY service) buy them at a discount place (or used) and get them serviced only when A) there's a problem or degradation in performance or B) whatever time interval you feel comfortable with. IF they're taken good care of and serviced correctly to begin with, they can go several years without being serviced. I've bought old SP regs that still had original o-rings (or at least ones from kits that were many years old) and they worked fine.

Obviously this is only an option for someone who's comfortable with forgoing annual service, and who takes good care of the regs. It ends up being more of a "state of mind" issue; many divers are simply more confident if their regs get serviced annually. Not me!

I don't see where they list Scuba Pro as a manufacturer that they sell:

Aeris | Akona | Amphibious Outfitters | Apollo | Armor | Bare | Bonica | Catalina | Cetecea | Cressi Sub | Dacor | Dive Rite | DUI | Genesis | Henderson | Hollis | Ikelite | IST | JBL | Luminox | Luxfer | Mares | McNett | Mountain Shirts | Misc Scubatoys | Naui | NeoSport | New World | Oceanic | Ocean Master | Ocean Reef | Otter Box | OMS | Oxycheq | Pelican | Pinnacle | Poseidon | Princeton Tec | Pro Ear | PST | SeaPearls | Sea Window | Sporasub | St. Moritz | Sea & Sea | SeaCure | SeaLife | SeaVision | Sherwood | Spare Air | Stahlsac | Tiddies | Tilos | Trident | Tusa | Ultimate Products | Underwater Kinetics | Uzzi | Whites | Worthington | XS Scuba | Zeagle

so your reasoning is still flawed.

They are an authorized dealer, but ScubaPro has banned all internet sales. So no authorized dealer sells SP on-line. Scuba.com has a retail shop somewhere, I think its in Irvine, CA. I am not sure, but I believe the same is true for ScubaToys, just that they are in TX. you would have to pick up in store to get the warrantee though.

This is true if you have your reg serviced every year. If you want the least expensive way to own SP regs, (outside of DIY service) buy them at a discount place (or used) and get them serviced only when A) there's a problem or degradation in performance or B) whatever time interval you feel comfortable with. IF they're taken good care of and serviced correctly to begin with, they can go several years without being serviced. I've bought old SP regs that still had original o-rings (or at least ones from kits that were many years old) and they worked fine.

Obviously this is only an option for someone who's comfortable with forgoing annual service, and who takes good care of the regs. It ends up being more of a "state of mind" issue; many divers are simply more confident if their regs get serviced annually. Not me!

Do you feel comfortable with having a problem at 80fsw?
Bully for you if you do. personally I don't and the *smart* divers won't either. Remember, Murphy is always out there, just waiting for the opportune moment.

nuff said - - safe diving!

I dive in Puget Sound (45 degrees last dive) and use the Zeagle DSV's on my doubles. I've been diving them for 1 year now (about 200 dives) and like them. I've also used them in warm water (Coz and Florida) -- great value.

My singles reg is the Titan LX which is also a great reg for cold or warm water. I believe the Zeagles are cheaper but I'm not sure what the difference is.

OTOH -- when your life depends on the reg, is $100 or so really that important?

Bully for you if you do. personally I don't and the *smart* divers won't either. Remember, Murphy is always out there, just waiting for the opportune moment.

Well, I'm not sure how "smart" it is to assume that annual service at the LDS, regardless of the number of dives, is any more likely to prevent problems with a reg than what I do, which is A) learn enough about the reg to service it myself, where I am certain that it's done carefully and tested well, and B) routinely check the reg for performance and only address problems when they become evident, or when the number of dives adds up to make replacement of annual parts appropriate, given the type of wear one normally sees on these parts.

Also, I dive in such a fashion that a reg failure would not be a life threatening situation, maybe a little scary and inconvenient.

I bought my AL Legend/octo setup on Closeout from a LDS and paid 379 for the setup. AL occasionally offers a 'buy a reg, get a free octo' type of deals.

I really like my regs, and the super cheapo service is great too!

Quite a few years ago I was curious about the "yearly service issue" and I overhauled a ScubaPro MK-5 which I then used ten to fifteen times a year for almost five years, without service, nothing more than a desultory post dive wash. Guess what? It worked perfectly for the entire time, I still have it, it's retired ... it has a slight IP creep now, likely due to a bum 1st stage seat/knife edge.

Granted this is anecdotal with an N of one.

Would I feel comfortable having a problem at 80fsw? Yes ... quite comfortable. What sort of problem do you think servicing would prevent? Are those not all problems that, in reality, you'd detect in a predive check? The worst thing would be a freeflow and you can breathe that to the surface anyway. But failures scrub the dive, are inconvenient, and are potentially much more dangerous if you have any sort of ceiling.

Back
Top Bottom