Almost embarrassed to ask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walk it off, if you get gangrene they make these cool looking nautical pirate peg legs to stick on the stub.

N

I wouldn't you might get swine...I mean H1N1 flu.

beware WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!

If you never expose yourself to bacteria you will never build up immunity to them...

I agree with Muddiver. I recently spent a week diving with a pretty good cut on my hand. I put vasoline on the wound while diving to protect it from the water, which seemed to work really well. I also used the clear bandage stuff after finally getting some and that worked well also althought the vasoline came off easier. Cleaned the injury well after diving and in my opinion the cut healed faster being exposed to the sea water.

Good luck and save diving.

Steve

and I'm thinking hyperbaric medicine.....hmmmmm

If you never expose yourself ....

You're encouraging him to expose himself!?!?!? Perv !!!!!!! :wink:

Walk it off, if you get gangrene they make these cool looking nautical pirate peg legs to stick on the stub.

N
That's LOL! Thanks to all. It appears my buddy is not totally off base, but not enough on to may me not dive. I'll get some vaseline and anti-bacteria. You guys, as always, are a great help. I'll post pictures of my nautical peg leg.

If you never expose yourself to bacteria you will never build up immunity to them...

LOL. I had a bacteriology prof who used to say the world is covered in a fine layer of s**t. I wouldn't hestitate to dive with a minor wound. But then I'm a vet and we tend to be a bit cavalier about personal risks like this.

The medical professional in me suggests you consult with a physician.

This might be a good place for an actual physician to jump in with an opinion. I know of two friends who soaked cuts in sea water for the "beneficial healing effect" - both ended up with severe infections requiring drainage tubes. There is some bad stuff living in the ocean, probably more hazardous than the sharks and 'cudas.

Slather with Triple Antibiotic Ointment (Neosporin or MallWart Equate Brand) and then cover. That's the trick.

It's all in "the bandage".

A slice of plastic bag as a "bandage", then use DUCT TAPE to seal it against your skin. This will not be waterproof (the ointment is), but it will protect the whole gooey mess from being penetrated.

As an alternative, you can use a small pad of paper towel as a medium to hold the ointment and then wrap (the toe or digit) with narrow strips of duct tape. Make yourself an industrial grade Band-Aid.

After every dive session, remove the entire device, warm soapy water and alcohol. :eyebrow: Let it dry out as best you can. Then add something that is available OTC in every country except the USA: Sulfa Powder (or similar). Sprinkle that on during your off-gassing hours.

Your initial advice was dead-on. Remember Boy Scouts? Cut in skin = potential for infection. Simplest of science. Inland lakes mean Goose Poop.

WC Fields reminds us: "Never drink the water... fish do disgusting things in it!"

Don't worry about Sharks, it's the microbes that will kill'ya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom