Aloha Airlines Calling It Quits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going on a trip soon out of Oahu which was using Aloha from Maui. Fortunately we booked with a travel agent and she's handling the switch over to Hawaiian without any cost. I'll find out how it turns out next week! Anyone have a recommendation on a hotel near the airport? We have to fly over the night before to catch our international flight the next morning...

Thanks in advance!

Sean

I'm going on a trip soon out of Oahu which was using Aloha from Maui. Fortunately we booked with a travel agent and she's handling the switch over to Hawaiian without any cost. I'll find out how it turns out next week! Anyone have a recommendation on a hotel near the airport? We have to fly over the night before to catch our international flight the next morning...

Thanks in advance!

Sean

I've stayed at two places in similar situations (though in both cases, I was headed to Maui following an international flight):

-- Castle Pacific Marina Inn Airport Hotel <http://www.castleresorts.com/Home/accommodations/pacific-marina-inn>
Close to the airport, free shuttle, good rates (at least in 2004); however, I had a very small room.

-- Best Western The Plaza Hotel <www.bestwesternhonolulu.com>
Close to the airport, free shuttle; however, it's right on the Nimitz Highway, which means it can be a bit loud. Also, more expensive than Pacific Marina Inn.

Peace,
Dave

Then they and Travelocity kept plugging away and eventually they got tickets that were about $400 one way on ATA.

Luckily, my return-to-mainland flight this Thursday is on ATA.

Are you sure that this is luck?

ATA Airlines

After filing for Chapter 11 on April 2, 2008 in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Indianapolis, IN, ATA Airlines has discontinued all operations and cancelled all current and future flights. Following the loss of a key contract for our military charter business, it became impossible for ATA to continue operations. Unfortunately, we were not in a position to provide our customers or others with advance notice.

Luckily, my return-to-mainland flight this Thursday is on ATA.
Well, that's what I thought on Tuesday, April Fool's day, but the joke was on me. :dork2::dork2::dork2:

I wandered down to the condo office to pick up a newpaper Thursday morning an hour or so before departing airport for my Maui to Oakland non-stop. The ticker on the TV said "ATA filed for bankruptcy". OK, I've flown on a lot of airlines that have been in and out of chapter 11, no biggie. Then the next thing that crawled across the bottom of the screen was "ATA shut down". Oops!

My condo was already booked for that evening, but the property manager offered me another place, and a neighbor offered a place for us to stay, but since we had all doctor and dentist appointments setup for this week, along with some contractors coming in to do some work, I decided to go ahead and look for a return flight as soon as possible.

The flights back to the mainland were already pretty well booked up because of the Aloha shutdown, and my options were disappearing right in front of my eyes as I hit the various websites and checked on flights.

Finally I booked a United flight from Honolulu to SFO on Saturday morning, then went up and told my wife that she was going to have a 2 day vacation in Honolulu on the way back to California. :D

It worked out pretty well, all considering. We had been thinking about hopping the superferry over to Honolulu for a night or two, but never did it because of houseguests and the extra time the superferry spent in drydock. So we got to see how Waikiki had changed over the last 6 or 7 years since we had been there, caught the Magic of Polynesia show, and wandered around downtown checking out the state capitol, Iolani Palace and Aloha Tower. Sure beat hanging out at the airport for hours and end or catching a red-eye back to the mainland.

Since Hawaiian had changed to a 767 in place of a 737 for some of their interisland flights, the Maui to Honolulu hop was easy. $55 walk-up fare, with a departure within an hour.

Charlie Allen

p.s. The "distressed traveler" rate at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach is a bit cheaper than the kamaaina rate.

Hey Charlie! glad you made it home and made the best of a bad situation...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom