Alright, why don't more shops sell BP+Wing setups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the big one is the $$$ reason, and has little to do with anything else.

Its easier to sell jacket after jacket to the same person when they "upgrade" from basic jacket to weight integrated to backinflate to rec-teck to new gadget/purple....

I assumed that bottom bolt was the turret retaining bolt.

Silly me - its a port.

Problem solved, and even better, since that port is "inline" with the air flow, it should be the highest flow port as well (and since the primary screws in there, its perfect.)

Thanks.

JimC once bubbled...
I think the big one is the $$$ reason, and has little to do with anything else.

Its easier to sell jacket after jacket to the same person when they "upgrade" from basic jacket to weight integrated to backinflate to rec-teck to new gadget/purple....

I think that it has more to do with complexity than profit. Selling and supporting BB and wings requires more effort and a more knowledgeable staff.

The sale of BB&Ws has to be more complex. Consider the time that it takes to try on a “standard” BC as compared to a BB and wings. Additionally, most “standard” BCs don’t have any options other than size and perhaps color, while with a BB and wings there are a lot of choices that have to be made, singles, doubles, STAs, lift, weight integration, storage, etc.

With after sales support for a “standard” BC all an LDS has to do is attached the low-pressure inflator hose to a first stage. Then there are only a few simple adjustments to demonstrate; all you do is pull the straps tight, hard to mess up. In contrast, from what I’ve seen and heard, the initial configuration of the BB&W harness is much more complex.

Mike

Setting up a BP takes just a few minutes.

You have to adjust the shoulder strap length, then trim off the extra from the waist strap when you get done and set the crotch strap length.

The difference between that and an "adjustable" BC is that you only have to do it once! An "adjustable" BC has to be played with every time you put it on.

Genesis,

The only time I’ve seen it done it took a while and required being in a wetsuit and having a cylinder attached. They made some adjustments, put it on and checked the fit, positioning of the cylinder valve, etc., then took it back off made some adjustments. The process was repeated multiple times till they were happy with the adjustment. This is not something I would rely on the typical LDS salesperson for (no offense intended but to some it’s only a job). In contrast adjusting a BC is much simpler.

One of the reasons I am considering a BB&W is because of the fit afforded by infinite adjustability of the harness, and while not rocket science the adjustment is more complex than that of a “standard” BC.

Mike

15 minutes to set mine up. And even better, I haven't had to fool around with it since - something you cannot say about the typical BC, which requires that you "adjust" it every time you put the fool thing on!

I did it with just the plate and wing, then attached a cylinder and checked the adjustment. Made one small change in the crotch strap length and I was done. I made my adjustments with my CLOTHES on, not a wetsuit; it was just fine.

I cheated though - I put on two chafe protectors on the webbing on the shoulders (one on each side). If I dive a thick wetsuit (say, a 7 mil) I just remove those and the fit is back to where it is with my 3/2 - the neoprene gives me the chafe protection / comfort that I get with the pads :)

I can also don this thing on the boat without a big of trouble. By comparison, a standard BC requires that you fool around with this and that, making sure its snug at all the adjustments. Donning the BP yesterday was quicker than it has been for me with a "traditional" BC in the past....

I can see where people of particularly short stature might find them uncomfortable. I have no problem with it though, and really, really like the compact, "its part of you" feeling underwater.

Genesis once bubbled...
Alright, why don't more shops sell BP+Wing setups
It's that pesky "supply and demand" thingy...
Rick

Maybe it is because so many major manufacturers (Seaquest, Scubapro, Oceanic, Mares ....) don't produce BP & wing.

Back
Top Bottom