Alternative to Gili T in winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedBeanPanda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone, looking for some advice!
I went to Indonesia last year and now I'm looking into going back to Gili T to do my DM. Was thinking of going for shoulder season (Sep-Nov) butttt I would also love to avoid European winter back home. Coming back from paradise straight into grey December will probably be too depressing for me :/
So I am looking for alternatives to Gili T with good diving conditions in winter, what would be your recommendations?
What's important to me: Ideally island vibe where everything is closeby, little traffic and few safety concerns alone as a woman. Water that's warm enough for just a shorty. Location affordable and touristy enough to have a good variety of western food available for the occasional comfort food moment (need to satisfy those bread cravings :D) while not having too much partying going on or at least options to get away from it (I know that Gili T gets overrun as well but I was totally fine there in shoulder season last year. As soon as you step back from the main boardwalk it's very chill.)
OR has someone been in Gili T in winter and can talk about their diving experience there? From what I've read so far it can get a little rough but maybe it could still be an option?
Looking forward to your answers and thanks in advance =)

Hey everyone, looking for some advice!
I went to Indonesia last year and now I'm looking into going back to Gili T to do my DM. Was thinking of going for shoulder season (Sep-Nov) butttt I would also love to avoid European winter back home. Coming back from paradise straight into grey December will probably be too depressing for me :/
So I am looking for alternatives to Gili T with good diving conditions in winter, what would be your recommendations?
What's important to me: Ideally island vibe where everything is closeby, little traffic and few safety concerns alone as a woman. Water that's warm enough for just a shorty. Location affordable and touristy enough to have a good variety of western food available for the occasional comfort food moment (need to satisfy those bread cravings :D) while not having too much partying going on or at least options to get away from it (I know that Gili T gets overrun as well but I was totally fine there in shoulder season last year. As soon as you step back from the main boardwalk it's very chill.)
OR has someone been in Gili T in winter and can talk about their diving experience there? From what I've read so far it can get a little rough but maybe it could still be an option?
Looking forward to your answers and thanks in advance =)

I can't speak to Gili but I've spent many winter months in Padang Bai.

I can't speak to Gili but I've spent many winter months in Padang Bai.
Dived Padang Bai yesterday, sure you could do your DM there, but you did mention little traffic, the traffic is insane, I am sure it was not a 'one off '.

Dived Padang Bai yesterday, sure you could do your DM there, but you did mention little traffic, the traffic is insane, I am sure it was not a 'one off '.

The traffic in Padang Bai is insane? Where were you staying? Sure the beach road can be a bit busy during daylight hours but I've never found it to be insane or even close and at night, there's hardly any.

The traffic in the areas outside of where the main dive shops are can be busy during the day. But it is rare to ever hear cars in for example Absolute Scuba. It would be a wonderful place to do a DM, dealing with significantly more experienced divers than the Gilis, more challenging dive conditions and of course experiencing the manta dives.

Thanks for the input so far! What have your experiences been diving around Bali in the winter @chillyinCanada @Tippytoes12 ? How does the weather affect the diving conditions?
And in the end... if the conditions are ok in Padang Bai in winter, they would also be ok on the Gilis, wouldn't they? :D

Lots of rain bursts, water colder than I'd expected but the diving is still great! I don't recall ever missing a dive because of the weather or conditions. That said, just because I don't remember missing a dive, doesn't mean that it didn't happen. 😄

Are you trying to get us to convince you to return to Gili T or to help you decide if elsewhere is the place for you?

Haha good question. The optimal outcome would definitely be Gili T but only if the conditions are favorable. Otherwise I'm totally open to go elsewhere, like the Philipines or even the Caribbean.
In this specific case I just figured that if I end up back around Bali I might as well go straight to Gili instead of being closeby but not there, you know? Figured that the conditions might be similar, anyways? But maybe that's not the case. For sure with currents, Padang Bai and the Gilis being on opposite sides of a big island etc. they might be quite different aswell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom