Alternative to Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went to my LDS to look at Jet fins. they only had xl's in stock, I wear a size 11 pinnacle dry suit boot. The xl was just a tad too small, and from what I heard the XXL will be too big. What are other options? (turtles, hollis, edge) and how do they fit size wise as no other stores in town carry those in stock for me to try before I buy? The salesperson was talking down jets saying they are uncomfortable as the foot pocket is not ergonomic (which made sense to me as the bottom of the pocket ended in the middle of my arch vs they end of my heel) and are too heavy (although with a drysuit I like that idea). When I asked him why so many people still dive jets he said "because of name recognition" and "the military uses them" His rational for the military is that they just go with what is cheaper, not what is better. I tried on the Twin jet max and they felt comfotbale, but I was unsure if he had decent rational to his beliefs.

Why do all of you use jets (or other similar fins), and what would be an alternative for me?

Best alternative are the turtles. I like my Jets because they work for the types of kicks I use. I have tried many different types of fins and the Jets work best. Maybe the dive shop dude wanted to sell you some $200.00 fins instead of $80.00 Jets??

Check out the XXL OMS slipstreams. They fill the gap between XL and XXL
perfectly. They are a jet fin clone but lighter in weight and a little less in cost.

The Hollis have a similar design, but I couldn't tell you what size to look at. One perk they offer though is they come with springs pre attached and they have two size adjustments built in to the fin incase the stock springs setting is too large. I might suggest a size XXL Hollis and play with the spring setting as needed.

To your other question, why use Jets (or similar)?
The design is a tried and true succes for one. But mainly it is the versatility of the fin. Although heavier and more cumbersome for the average Recreational diver, the jet design allows the diver to successfully manuver in all environments, and with all kick styles. And it has a ridiculously low fail rate, as the only thing that can fail is the strap/ spring.

Check out the XXL OMS slipstreams. They fill the gap between XL and XXL
perfectly. They are a jet fin clone but lighter in weight and a little less in cost.

Yep. The XXL Slipstream is what a XXL jet "should be". About the same width but without the ridiculously high foot pocket.

I have both XL Jets & XL Slipstreams. In the water they do seem to perform the same, but the slipstreams are close to 1 lb lighter per fin.

The foot pockets on the OMS are only marginally larger, so odds are you need to try the XXL slip stream for fit.

I still use Jets, the fin I love to hate and hate to love, because simply nothing equals them in total versatility. Since introduced in 1963 the Jet Fins has been THE fin of choice among many if not most serious divers not because the military uses them (if in fact they do) but simply because they work better or as good as any fin made past or present. They are also rugged, lifetime rugged and they are cost effective. Seventy five for Jets or how about 750 for Force Fins, lol.

Actually, I kind of find it insulting or patronizing when some dive shop goober tells me or you that we Jet Fin folks use Jet Fins because we are Navy Seal wannabees. I certainly admire their superhuman dedication to their country and avocation but frankly never wanted to be one and would not choose my fins based on what the military uses.

As to Rockets, I would as soon strap the box the Jet Fins came in on my feet with duct tape as use a pair of Rockets, they are not the same, speaking of wannabees, the Rockets want to be a Jet Fin but they are not and never will be even if the Navy Seals use them or not.

N

As to Rockets, I would as soon strap the box the Jet Fins came in on my feet with duct tape as use a pair of Rockets, they are not the same, speaking of wannabees, the Rockets want to be a Jet Fin but they are not and never will be even if the Navy Seals use them or not.

N

The rocket II's, is their material anything close to the the jets? The foot pocket looks "more ergonomic", but was wondering if it is just a black fin and that is where the similarities end.

The rocket II's, is their material anything close to the the jets? The foot pocket looks "more ergonomic", but was wondering if it is just a black fin and that is where the similarities end.

The Rocket II's are a LOT more flexible. Floppy is more like it.

HOG and Salvo both make XL fins that are meant to fit the gap between XL Jets and XXL jets.

Back
Top Bottom