aluminum or steel bp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm using an aluminum BP with a single HP 100 and a heavy SS STA. Even with a 5 mil semi dry this time of year all I need is a couple of ankle weights around the base of my tank and I'm weighted just right. In the summer months, diving with only a 3 mil suit, I don't need any weight. Now I am using steel tanks but IMO I don't think you need the extra non-ditchable weight of a SS BP, unless you're diving dry. If you find you're a little positive when using aluminum tanks, try adding a couple of pounds of ditchable weight. I also only have one BP so when I dive my doubles, which are aluminum, I would deffinately not want to have a SS BP. We don't need the extra weight here most of the year because of the water temps and the fact that most of us are diving wet.

Just my 2 bubbles worth.

How much ditachable weight are you wearing like on a weight belt?

911_abuser:
ok big guy...open water..single aluminum 80's...halcyon eclipse with sta...TOO MUCH WEIGHT ON THE BACK? .... should i go with aluminum?
If you're diving wet most certainly go with an aluminum, this will migrate with you to doubles if you decide to take that path, but Wendy does have a good point what kind of weight are you wearing now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom