Am I a candidate to pursue DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Meaning the footprint of CCR/SCR worldwide is incredibly small, but those that have them seem to use them and love them.

Ok, that makes sense

PerroneFord:
I see CCR divers in BP/W sometimes, but lots in jackets. In fact, several of the units COME with jacket BC's.

I've adapted backplates to the AP Inspriation, and Evo and SMI's Prism.

Kiss RB's have bolts at 11 centers, as does the Megaldon, these are routinely used with BP's and some kinda wing.

Tobin

Dawktah:
If you do not have the signatures from dive shops how credibly are your log books treated if they are almost exclusively co-signed by your spouse? Tech pre-reqs 100 dives, EANx and below 100'?

Chris

I've talked to a number of shops about log book 'credibility' issues, being
that the majority of my dives to date were solo, and only one shop gave
me a bunch of crap about how I needed signature or how could they prove
that I actually dove the times I say I did.

The reality is, those dives could be signed by 'Barney Rubble', 'Fred Flinstone',
'Elvis', or any other fictional/dead person and look totally valid. The real issue is,
especially with taking more advanced classes, is what would you benefit from
faking your logbook?

Nowhere does PADI say that you have to have your dives signed. They strongly
encourage that you do, but maintaining as detailed of a log as you feel like goes
a long ways towards credibility. A LDS wants to see your logbook(s) so they have
some idea of the dives you've done, but they will be able to tell pretty quickly if
you have the experience you say you do when they do one dive with you.

Peter

cool_hardware52:
Kiss RB's have bolts at 11 centers, as does the Megaldon, these are routinely used with BP's and some kinda wing.

Tobin

OH, I agree. I've been in the water with KISS divers, Meg divers, Ourboros divers (okay one guy), and I've seen as many in jackets as BP/W. And with one exception, they were all cave/overhead divers.

I'm not saying you CAN'T use the BP/W for these units, as I certainly wouldn't use anything else, but you don't have to, and in some cases you have to modify the unit to do so.

smb1014:
Just a little advice - if you are interested in learning more about DIR - try to get Jarrod Jablonski's book. Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving. Global Underwater Explorers is the training arm of the DIR system.
https://secure.gue.com/catalog/order

Will pick it up! Something to read on the plane. With DIR-CCR, rebreathers really aren't a tangent from DIR. But I am new to this board. I'm hoping I can use my Knighthawk for DIR and replace it as last piece of equipment.

--Chris

Dawktah:
Will pick it up! Something to read on the plane. With DIR-CCR, rebreathers really aren't a tangent from DIR. But I am new to this board. I'm hoping I can use my Knighthawk for DIR and replace it as last piece of equipment.

--Chris
Highly unlikely. While I don't know the knighthawk, a quick google search and look at the BCD would lead me to believe that's not possible.

While gear config is just a part of GUE/DIR, it's done the way it is as part of the foundation for doing everything else...

I'd talk to one of the instructors. They will be glad to help you understand better than I can...

As for CCR, they would be happy to discuss that with you as well :)

Chris

Side note there is a decent sized pocket of DIR out here in Hawaii, just responding the the tropical DIR portion.

cmalinowski:
Highly unlikely. While I don't know the knighthawk, a quick google search and look at the BCD would lead me to believe that's not possible.

While gear config is just a part of GUE/DIR, it's done the way it is as part of the foundation for doing everything else...

I'd talk to one of the instructors. They will be glad to help you understand better than I can...

As for CCR, they would be happy to discuss that with you as well :)

Chris

I guess I didn't elaborate my thought correctly. I was hoping I could still dive with the Knighthawk while replacing everything else first, then buy the BP/W last, -or- should I replace BCD first keep using my remaining equipment and replace the regs last? I have Oceanic Omega II and VT Pro computer. I'd have to eBay those to feel comfortable after that expense. There is a hardplate with holes that "looks" like you can attach doubles??? Take DIR-F after I buy the final piece

Realistically you can change you gear in any way you like, in whatever order you like. My 2 psi would be that changing to a backplate sooner would give you more time to climatize, esp. before taking DIR-F. I would also suggest having and being comfortable with a bp/w before starting doubles.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom