Am I behind the times? - What a sad story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiverjunkie:
This is such a terrible story and a sad tragedy - How did I miss this from so long ago. I must have been in a cave.

http://www.cdnn.info/article/wave_dancer/wave_dancer.html
Thanks for posting the link. I had heard about this when it happened, but had not heard anything since. The article is really good, especially the interviews with survivors. I had no idea that the Captain did and said so much to cause the tragedy.

K

scubajoe:
Had the Aggressor been tied where the Dancer was it would have been the one upside down. Would there be the same things being said about that company? Joe
Personally, I would be saying the same thing I did regardless of who the operator was. My point is, if you know a storm is coming and you have the ability to get the people off and safely into shelter on land, do it. In reading the story, that opportunity was there and they didn't take it.

As a boat operator and Captain, your first responsibility is the safety of the people on the boat.

Brian

brianwl:
What I don't understand is that after this level of complete stupidity and utter disregard for human life, PADI is still pushing Peter Hughes' trips. Why?

Don't punish all of their captains because of the bad decisions of one. I've dived a lot with this organization, though never with this captain, and have found the crews to be excellent.

also, don't forget your source. CDNN is notoriously anti-PADI and will put the
worst spin on any story involving PADI. Also, they are not exactly unbiased
reporters, more like a tabloid at times.

So... I don't take everything CDNN says as gospel, but do read them once in a while to see what they're up to.

Whoooooaaaaaaa. How on earth did PADI get involved in this tragedy. I have just done a word search on the whole article and the word PADI does not appear.

This is a tragedy, an act of god, a series of bad jugement calls, tag team negligence, whatever you want to thing, but it is not an agency bashing oportunity.

Brian back up or I will set a mod on you. PADI bashing belongs in the PADI BASHING forum, NOT HERE.

I'm not bashing PADI. What I do not understand is the continued support for a company that showed negligence in the extreme. Keep in mind, all my knowledge of this accident is based on the article in the link that started this thread.

I work for a company that believes in revenue at all costs, even if it's not profitable, it still looks good on the books. Were there any reprocussions to this "accident" form the families of those injured or killed?

What was Peter Hughes' response to the article and "accident"?

cancun mark:
Whoooooaaaaaaa. How on earth did PADI get involved in this tragedy. I have just done a word search on the whole article and the word PADI does not appear.

This is a tragedy, an act of god, a series of bad jugement calls, tag team negligence, whatever you want to thing, but it is not an agency bashing oportunity.

Brian back up or I will set a mod on you. PADI bashing belongs in the PADI BASHING forum, NOT HERE.

I've been watching this thread closely. The reason is, I, myself, spoke to Peter Hughes when he was here in Houston a Sea Space last month.
There are so many things that cannot be said because of law suits and such. So let's just pray for the families. That's all we can do, and that's all we will have the facts on. The rest is tied up in legalities that are really not our business. If you don't want to patronize PH because of this, that is up to you.
If any company bashing goes any further I will have to pull this thread.
Thanks for your cooperation.

A very good friend of mine knew most all of the divers that was killed in the accident. He found out a lot more than most of us realize. I have talked to a couple of people that have intimate knowledge of the whole sceneiaro.. I won't go into any details about what I have found out but the families of the deceased were not treated very good, in my personal opinion. It will also be my choice on the fact that I wouldn't dive a Hughes boat, my opinion, my choice. yes, I have heard the Hughes side of the story also, but like everything else in life. There is a lot more to a fire than just heat.

This was discussed here on the board shortly after the tragedy.

I have heard dis-interested parties both defend and condemn their actions. They say that hindsight is almost always 20/20, but more accurately it is incredibly myopic. Consequently, it is impossible for us to accurately determine why certain decisions were made in this venue.

My prayers are for the families to find closure in this. To date litigation has not brought back a single life. Choose the companies you deal with wisely. Look not just to their glowing reports but research what others are saying about them. Forums like ScubaBoard are invaluable for doing this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom