Am I ready to dive off-shore without a charter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod, you have a ladder?

...when we started out, we would stay right under the boat. We could do a lot of diving within sight of the boat...I would look at it from time to time too.

Also, I found myself checking every inch of the mooring line on the way down. In fact, if no one was on the boat, I would not lose sight of the boat or dive bad viz.

Nemrod, you have a ladder?

...when we started out, we would stay right under the boat. We could do a lot of diving within sight of the boat...I would look at it from time to time too.

Also, I found myself checking every inch of the mooring line on the way down. In fact, if no one was on the boat, I would not lose sight of the boat or dive bad viz.

It is for my wife, I shoot up like Flipper and land at the helm, what, you cannot?:rofl3:

N

You say your father-in-law is OW with plenty of open water dives. Have you dove with him in a spot that he already knows? You might try that before hitting a spot that he hasn't dove before. OTOH, if you have confidence in him, and your ability to stay with him in the conditions, and the site can be researched as to currents and conditions, it could be a good opportunity. Make sure you plan the dive, and plan for problems; what should you do if you surface out of site of the boat, what should the people in the boat do if you're not back on schedule.

I know most of you that will read this thread will tell me that only I will know if I'm ready to dive off-shore without a charter/divemaster/instructor present but I'm looking for more than that answer.

Here is my dilemma....

My father in-law is a certified O/W diver and has made many dives in the past, most of them in the ocean. Several times a year, his friend Rick takes out his 24' boat and goes fishing approximately 30-40 miles off-shore from St. Augustine. I have been fishing with both of them on several occassions and we always see large amounts of marine life included the stuff we aren't pulling in the boat......Rays, dolphins, turtles, barracudas, etc, etc. So one day while on the boat fishing, Bill says to me "Mike, since you dive too, we should dive this spot next time we come out just me and you" leaving Rick and his brother George on the boat with neither one of them being divers. We usually anchor over taylor reef, some A-6 Intruders, or old pieces of concrete dumped out there years ago.....But we are not entirely sure what the bottom really is or looks like.....But there has to be plenty of stuff there because of all of the marine life present on any given day! And I want so bad to dive it, but I'm not sure if I'm entirely ready......I haven't done a ton of dives but most of mine have been in the ocean. And even though I dive, i am still fairly new and still have that minor fear of the open ocean....I'm mean, I'm not scared of sharks or anything but it's just the great mystery below that is frightening. Now don't tell me I don't belong in scuba for having this fear, because I have huge aspirations and want to do so much....But I feel like if I don't do this, I will never get the experience I need and because of my fear, I will cheat myself of many opportunities I could have if I dive and see that there's nothing to it and that it is really exciting and beautiful. But it's just those little thoughts of fear I have like.....what if the boat becomes un-anchored and looses us....what if we have an emergency 30-40 miles out...what if...what if...what if.....Is this normal? I feel almost stupid telling some of you veteran scuba divers this, but everyone had to start some where right? I just want to know what everyones thoughts are about this.....and if your wondering, the depth ranges from 40-90 ft deep. Is what I'm feeling normal...or should I stop worrying and jump in head first?

Michael Sapp

1) A boat should always be attended when divers are down.
2) You should have emergency plans set up.
3) Try to plan your first dive at the shallow end of the depth range you mentioned--i.e. 40 or 50 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom