Amazing Discovery in Thailand. Read Before You Go.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

americanoregon

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just had an awesome dive trip. I live in Phuket, and I like it here, but there is traffic, noise, crowded dive sites... Then I found a new dive shop that just opened on Koh Yao.

From Phuket, I took a one hour ferry ride (the dive shop made all the arrangements for me) to Koh Yao. It only costs 100 baht ($2.75 US), but like I said, the dive shop pays. There is only one road on the island, but you can take your motorbike if you want (100 baht) or your car (I think it's 300 baht, or about $9 US).

When I got off the ferry, I was in paradise. Rubber, rice, coconuts, birds singing, no traffic. Amazing and peaceful.

The dive shop will send someone to carry you a few kilometers to their shop. It is right on a secluded beach. In two days, I did not see anyone else on the beach except local kids playing football. Next door to the dive shop, also right on the beach, is a backpackers lodge. Good, clean rooms, great showers, very quiet and private place run by a very nice family. I have been in a million of them all over the world, and I give this one an A+. If you take a SCUBA course, your room is free!

There is only one dive shop on the island, and none of the Phuket-based boats go there, so we had the whole place to ourselves. Nice to dive with 6 other people instead of 60! The divesites are great. The coral is pristine. I saw all the usual suspects, as well as a docile leopard shark that did not flee at the sight of humans, even when we got within 5 meters.

For the surface interval, the boat delivered us to a very small island with a beach, food, drinks (bikinis!). After an hour or two, we got back on the dive boat for more diving. Perfect.

At night, the dive shop owner built a driftwood fire on the beach and cooked the best food I have had after 6 months in Asia, and that's pretty damned good. I think he is going to make someone a great wife someday!

If you want to get off the tourist trail and discover the best SCUBA secret in Thailand, try to see this place.

I think SCUBA BOARD does not want me to put in contact info, but if you send me a Private Message, I will give it to you. Maybe I'll even go back to Koh Yao with you!

yeah I would like to know as well

how much were the dives?

Koh Ya looks closer to the mainland than Pee Pee and Racha. How is the visibility up there?

Do you have a link, url, adress, name or anything?

americanoregon:
I just had an awesome dive trip. I live in Phuket, and I like it here, but there is traffic, noise, crowded dive sites... Then I found a new dive shop that just opened on Koh Yao.

From Phuket, I took a one hour ferry ride (the dive shop made all the arrangements for me) to Koh Yao. It only costs 100 baht ($2.75 US), but like I said, the dive shop pays. There is only one road on the island, but you can take your motorbike if you want (100 baht) or your car (I think it's 300 baht, or about $9 US).

When I got off the ferry, I was in paradise. Rubber, rice, coconuts, birds singing, no traffic. Amazing and peaceful.

The dive shop will send someone to carry you a few kilometers to their shop. It is right on a secluded beach. In two days, I did not see anyone else on the beach except local kids playing football. Next door to the dive shop, also right on the beach, is a backpackers lodge. Good, clean rooms, great showers, very quiet and private place run by a very nice family. I have been in a million of them all over the world, and I give this one an A+. If you take a SCUBA course, your room is free!

There is only one dive shop on the island, and none of the Phuket-based boats go there, so we had the whole place to ourselves. Nice to dive with 6 other people instead of 60! The divesites are great. The coral is pristine. I saw all the usual suspects, as well as a docile leopard shark that did not flee at the sight of humans, even when we got within 5 meters.

For the surface interval, the boat delivered us to a very small island with a beach, food, drinks (bikinis!). After an hour or two, we got back on the dive boat for more diving. Perfect.

At night, the dive shop owner built a driftwood fire on the beach and cooked the best food I have had after 6 months in Asia, and that's pretty damned good. I think he is going to make someone a great wife someday!

If you want to get off the tourist trail and discover the best SCUBA secret in Thailand, try to see this place.

I think SCUBA BOARD does not want me to put in contact info, but if you send me a Private Message, I will give it to you. Maybe I'll even go back to Koh Yao with you!

Yes, for contact info go to kohyaodiving.com. I would have added it, but I thought that was discouraged on SCUBABOARD.

If you go there, be sure tell them you saw them on SCUBABOARD. Then I will tell the owner he needs to show some appreciation for my having posted this by giving me free boat rides. He'll come through for me, and we have to get our freebies where we can. And I am a freelancer working for whatever shop needs extra help. If you do a course there, request me as your instructor. The owner will call me, ask me to meet you at the airport or your hotel, and take you to the ferry (it is tough to find). I'll go over with you and leave when you are finished.

I forgot to mention--one of the reasons why everyone is so nice there is that this is a Muslim island. But that means there is only one place to buy beer, and it is rather expensive and has limited hours. If you want alcohol, take your own. Nobody will be bothered as long as you drink on the beach and not in someone's house or garden.

It's on Koh Yao Yai, right? There are 2 Koh Yao's, the other one, slightly further North is Koh Yao Noi. I went over there this year for the first (and won't be the last) time. Must try Koh Yao Yai too sometime.

Koh Yao Noi (on my blog)

The place where I had such a great time was Koh Yao Yai. If you know some good divesites at Koh Yao Noi, post them here! Include transportation details, if possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom