Ambon and Lease islands report dec12-jan13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a lobster (which is really rare at that part of Maluku)
If you dived like you pretend I think you were really blind. Anyone diving around can witness there are plenty of them around. Listen, I have been diving the area from 2011 to 2013, while you may have been once for a day trip, I think in that respect I am much more qualified than you are to make assumptions on which fish there are and there aren't. It just shows your mind is not flexible enough to understand situations are not equal in the world.
An example of your twisted way of thinking, arguing that since I have no lobster photo there would not be any lobsters... Great logics, i bet sciences were always a challenge for you at school. :shakehead:
Now, have a good look : I haven't uploaded any photos of fusiliers, hence there aren't any fusiliers in Indonesia, Reports are lying to you people!
Maybe you could also ask yourself how to do a great photo with a lobster, personally I have never found the solution on how to get good images of long antennas coming out from a dark hole...That is why you'd hardly see lobster photos from me.

As per your exemple of "many tourists" coming around, it would be valid if it were Bali or Bunaken, but the fact is that it isn't the truth for Molana or Saparua, see. The thing is that for 3 years I have dived on my own boat in that area with no divers around and that makes a big difference with your assumptions. Probably you should think with diffrent hypothesis. (or just "think", it might be enough :D )
Otherwise, about Ameth what you say is not even correct. They do allow local sustainable fishing but refuse cyanide or bombing, that is especially why they have great coral reefs, they're being selective not exclusive (something that seems remote from you). Maybe you check your info beforehand Diving Indonesia: Maluku Province - Nusa Laut

If you are the eco-holier-than-thou person you seem to be, I mean besides the hairy troll you are, pls don't take any plane, that will spare us from your presence abroad and save on your CO2 cost, also stop using the Internet, since recent research conducted in the assessment that servers are responsible for a significant factor in the global warming.
And oh yes your rant on the shrimp farms... just hit google with "shrimp farm pollution" and have a good read. So yes shrimp farming and fish/crustacea spearing is not the same thing, one pollutes the other not. :eyebrow:

Stop showing yourself ridiculous, it's getting embarrassing.

Veronique I am sorry, even if u had a point of view you wanted to share, it hasn't been presented in an acceptable way. Joining a forum and laying into long standing members is not cool, and you seem to have several statements that are backed by nothing but opinion. If you are going to have a heated debate make sure you have all the facts. I have to say, the lobster catch is very much sustainable fishing and I highly doubt any indonesian Dm is going to be opening up a lobster joint on molana island, I mean come on. It's in the middle of nowhere and visited very little and no doubt there are thousands of lobsters around. And I agree with luko ,they are poor photo candidates. Maybe next time you go diving take a photo together and see how easy that is.! End of the day it's ok to have opinions, but don't rudely enter a forum and stuff it into people's faces and argue the case with little substance. People who are rude, ignorant and nasty on these sites are called trolls so sadly being referred to as such is fair. Maybe next time be polite, introduce yourself, and open a debate in the right way. You have left a sour taste on what was a good thread.

Hi Veronique76, I'm Jovin and I have been diving Ambon with BRD for the last few years. Think it was my 9th trip back just last month and I have done at least a couple hundreds of dives in Ambon. I'm chiming in here cos what started as an informative trip report from Luko has now ended up on whether should divers take anything from the sea. We live in a diverse world and I think it all comes down to a personal choice. My take is with Luko. From my experience, lobsters aren't rare in Ambon. I enjoy eating seafood and so catching a few lobsters/fishes for consumption is totally okay for me. To me, it's the same as going to a market/restaurant and buying one. Well, you can argue that the ones in the market/restaurant are farmed and blah, blah, blah but again it's my choice. Actually, I do remember that I was offered 2 lobsters for dinner on my first trip (without me asking) so the locals do catch them and eat them too. Are they being irresponsible too?? How so ...

From your posts, you sounded really unfriendly. I respect your opinion on the protection of marine critters but you could have PM Luko your thoughts and not jump in here and state your point so unpleasantly. I have traveled and met many people on my travels and I think what makes a good diver is NOT only your respect for the underwater world but also your respect for people, divers and locals alike.

Let's just ignore the troll for now and let her live in her fairyworld where she'll ride a pink unicorn . :wink:

How was your Ambon/Lembeh trip last month, Jovin? I was browsing the net hopping from a link to another link and stumbled upon NAD's blog... oh am I seeing well that pic... hey, it's CC in the foreground.... :wink:.

hi everyone...

My name is Pico. Albeit, an maritime enthusiast, I'm quite new to diving. Currently, I'm helping Pak August Kaya, the owner of bungalows and restaurant in Molana Island. Spiritually, I had claimed the island as mine, so to speak. I am also a journalist for regional news portal based in Ambon. Since the Maluku area is 90% sea, we put great attention to the sustainability of sea resources.

oh yes, I'm also new in this scubaboard forum, so I hope that previous paragraph is adequate for an introduction. :)

I enjoyed Luko's posts and flickr about Lease Islands and Molana. I ever think that he probably the most knowledgable about corals in Banda Sea..

The reason I post in this thread, is to appreciate him and each one of you who has thought that maritime tourism and diving are doing just well with sea environment conservation. It's true as Luko had pointed earlier that the real danger to sea environment is cyanide, dynamite and over fishing practice. This bad practice is not only excercised by some local fishermen, but often foreign trawls had their share in sea environment destruction.
It's a fact that the local government has very limited armada to watch the vast area of Maluku, so they persuade people to take active part in conservation efforts. One effective way is to endorse the tourism activities. Because those bad fishing practices are always avoiding tourist, especially divers.

There I share my thought, else I will learn..

oh, I also created a facebook page for Molana Island, please like if you like.. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom