An "Ah Ha!" moment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I abhor the quarry. A necessary evil for training.

Too damn cold and too damn green!!

:)

I abhor the quarry. A necessary evil for training.

Too damn cold and too damn green!!

:)

Well, being quite land locked in KY, I have to dive whatever I can..... Beats diving in the Ohio River, hands down any day..... That is why I am sooooo looking forward to Bonaire in late July.

Come out to NC sometime. Hit some wrecks!!

Thanks for the info Tammy, just went ahead and ordered my pockets. I was having trouble with just an AL 40, so I figure I'll need the weight as I progress. Really weird though, with my 7mm wetsuit, I was light sometimes, and heavy sometimes. So for it to be so different with the dry suit, I'm wondering if the issue is more between my ears than what's on my back.

Thanks for the info Tammy, just went ahead and ordered my pockets. I was having trouble with just an AL 40, so I figure I'll need the weight as I progress. Really weird though, with my 7mm wetsuit, I was light sometimes, and heavy sometimes. So for it to be so different with the dry suit, I'm wondering if the issue is more between my ears than what's on my back.

Some of that buoyancy change can be due to the amount of air in the counterlungs. I typically run mine with only enough air volume to take a full breath (optimal volume), & not much extra. Takes a little practice to determine how much air the eCCR adds each time the solenoid fires, & adjust accordingly.

Thanks for the info Tammy, just went ahead and ordered my pockets.

Something I would suggest with those pockets,... I've just had an issue the other day with the zipper slide coming off the top of the pockets. I was able to put the zipper back on & then poked a couple small holes next to the zipper & used some very small zip ties to create a physical stop for the zipper slide.

Something I would suggest with those pockets,... I've just had an issue the other day with the zipper slide coming off the top of the pockets. I was able to put the zipper back on & then poked a couple small holes next to the zipper & used some very small zip ties to create a physical stop for the zipper slide.

Thanks Tammy, I see what you are saying, and I see how that could happen. Just a question, did yours have Velcro on the top, with a Velcro flap on the zipper slide? I also thought about mounting them "upside down" so the zipper slide would have to move "up" if it came loose (of course that would be horizontal if my trim is where it should be).

Having said that, I did receive my pockets very quickly. Went back to the lake this weekend, and didn't need them! I had no trouble at all getting down, and my buoyancy was the best it has ever been in a drysuit with no additional weight! I do appreciate the tip, and I am going to hold on to them, better to have and not need than the other way around!

Thanks Tammy, I see what you are saying, and I see how that could happen. Just a question, did yours have Velcro on the top, with a Velcro flap on the zipper slide?

Yes, it had it, but the slide came off anyway, even with the velcro in place. Not sure why. I've been using the pockets for trim, more than buoyancy. With an AL 40 bail out, I'm nose heavy & need the weights down low. With 2 AL 80's, It puts me on my knees (foot heavy) & need the weights up higher.The pockets allow me to move the weight distribution up & down easily. I just use a cable tie around the pockets to hold the weights in place.

The air in the counterlungs issue was my first big hurdle. On one of my training dives we were supposed to jump in and get immediately down. I'm sure I had 22 or 24 lbs. of lead and could not make it happen. I had to get back to the boat for more weight.

Same exact setup & same wetsuit, now I'm still negative with 18 pounds. It's amazing what comes with just a little experience & practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom