An exciting new life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brendanrtw

Reaction score
I've been diving for just over a year and spent a glorious six months in Queensland working toward a DM. Before I had arrived I had no idea I could actually 'work' as a diver considering I had only about 14 logged dives. I trained with the company in return for labour and had the best six months of my life. I'm back in Ireland now (totally broke) and really can't stand being here knowing there is a whole world of adventure out there.

What I looking for is your stories. I'd like to know what you did, what your doing and where you see yourself. I'm not looking for an autobiography or anything, I'm just interested in how you got where you are and any advice on how I might get out of this rut I'm in and back in the water.

So c'mon people spill the beans! I need inspiration.

Not quite the inspiration I was looking for !! :wink:

brendanrtw

I'm only 19 so my stories short and unadventurous! Havent worked within the diving industry but many on the board have and they know what they are talking about when they say "Get use to being poor!"

But all I can say is, don't think about your wallet - just follow your dreams and keep to your goals!

Oh - and don't forget to keep us informed on how your doing!!! :D

I think you've got the wrong impression. I'm not thinking about making money as a diver at all. I not interested in financial gain, but the lifestyle and fullfilment one can have working in the industry. The only reason I mentioned money is because thats what's holding me back right now. My debts from my travels. Then once I've got that sorted ....................like the foreskin on a Jew ............................ I'm off! :smash:

I'd just like to know a little about the seasoned divers out there, how they ended up where they are and if they've got any tips for someone egar to get out there and do it.

I am an escaped lab jockey (formerly worked in genetics labs), now working in Grand Cayman as a dive instructor.

I started diving seven years ago with no intention of ever going pro. Much of my early diving was for installing and removing piers from a sailing club.

I got in a lot of Great Lakes diving, and after moving to South Carolina I started diving some of the NC wrecks off the Outer Banks.

The idea :idea: of diving professionally grew more appealing after too much time in a lab. A couple years ago I decided to go for it.

Lesson for life: Log all of your dives. I hadn't kept a log for four years. So I first started diving a lot and logging all of those dives. I then spent a summer in Malta where I completed my instructor training.

At that point, the only decision was where I wanted to work. Diving is a worldwide industry, and many diving locales do not have enough certified instructors among the local population. I made a list of locations I wanted to work, and started sending off inquiries. After sorting through the replies, ultimately I ended up in Grand Cayman.

As others have said, it is not an easy life. I have just come off a stretch with one day off in the last two weeks. Days can be long, with night dives even longer - fourteen hour days are not uncommon. And then there is the pay... :lol:

So why do it? I enjoy the diving, the people I meet, and I enjoy the prospects of seeing the world. Some days it is just work, but most days it is a delight. The commute to work is better, and the working environment is much more to my liking.

With all of that said, if you are inspired to turn pro, then remember that it will change the way you view diving. You are not there to just enjoy the dive. Your primary function underwater is to focus on the other divers around you.

Drew, that was an outstanding post! You gave ME insight as well seeing as I am 95% sure I'm going to SCUBA school this summer. One of the places I think I'd like to try is the Caymans. From what I've seen in pictures, it looks like some of the best diving in the world! Could ya give any other insights for me/us...? :)

Thanks Drew, when I was in Queenland I experienced all those things you described. The people, the diving, the commute (can you even call sailing a racing maxi a commute?!?!).
I only wish I had the means to stay where I was. Anyway, I've just got to look forward now. Thanks for your story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom