An industry that is in decline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis once bubbled...
How much diving is there near Colorado Springs? :)
Colorado has the highest per-capita diving population in the US. Up in Denver you can't swing a cat without hitting a dive shop.

Roak

:confused:

I see dive shops making money in three ways:
- selling diving equipment
- training divers
- operating dives (for those who owns their own boats and fill tanks)

Which of these is more profit? I always though it was the dive operations, but as I see some opinions in this thread I am not very sure.

About the declining industry, I see two factors that are important, and have already been mentioned by some folks:

There are no new equipment, no different things to buy. Once I read that technical divers spent muuuuch more money on equipment than rec divers, cause they have to buy much more stuff. What are the new stuff that appeared in terms of diving equipemnt? RGBM computers? Mares´ HUB? I bought my diving gear some years ago, and I´m still very satisfied with it. No need to buy a new regulator, for example.

The other one is the high number of divers who do the OW course and never dive again. I know lots of people in this situation (my wife is one that if it wasn´t for me wouldn´t even finish the OW). That´s the price for poor quality instructors. I agree that a certain percentage is accetable and inerent to outdoor activities, but the poor quality standards play an important part on this.

Regards

Fábio

PS: if you complain about economics there in the US, you should try to live in Brazil :)

I'm always amused (and sad) at those who claim LDS will die if their business practice, namely the price gauging, ends.

In Europe, there is no set price and all the major brands, including Scubapro, have authorized dealers on the internet. In fact, you don't even need a proof of purchase to get the benefit of a warranty (you do need to show that you've done the required servicing). There is no gray market since it's an open market.

The big difference: most LDS don't sell training. That's reserved for the dive centers. You go to the store to buy gear. You go to the dive center to get your training and your air.

The system works over there. Why wouldn't it work here?

And it would work better than what we have now.

De-coupling the parts makes for a healthier environment overall.

The industry needs to do more to get existing divers to recruit family, friends and colleagues.

Someone who enters diving with a "support" network, from my experience, is steered toward quality instructors, quality and affordable equipment, dive trips, etc.

Dive shops exist to serve divers. Divers aren't here to serve diveshops. It isn't a two-way street. I like many of the dive shop owners in my area. I think they are hard working people. But unless I am a shareholder in their business I am not responsible for helping them remain profitable. That's life. That's business.

I think people have too many diversions today. Look at all the different hobbies and sports available. The average american is working longer hours today.

The internet is also changing the flow of information related to the sport. It used to be the case that the dive shops were the source of new information related to dive gear and techniques. Now I typically learn about these things before the dive shop guys because I can spend more time on the internet. When you change the flow of information you also change people's buying habits.

jasondbaker once bubbled...
Dive shops exist to serve divers. Divers aren't here to serve diveshops. It isn't a two-way street.

In fact, if you ask the shop owners, I suspect most will say the shop is there to make a living, and then perhaps add "by serving the divers".

JohnF

In fact, if you ask the shop owners, I suspect most will say the shop is there to make a living, and then perhaps add "by serving the divers".

.... as Yoda said, is why you fail.

Most businesspeople don't get it.

Unfortunately.

... about folks who go into any business without understanding that the bottom line has to be black, at least most of the time?

JohnF

Genesis once bubbled...

.... as Yoda said, is why you fail.

Most businesspeople don't get it.

Unfortunately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom